• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bang for my buck mods opinion sought

autoaloha

Hella H4 E-code headlights (you will be shocked at how much better they are than sealed beams and even north-american spec HID) and the loudest and deepest-sounding air horns you can fit. And a third LED brake light.

Otherwise, what you have looks pretty good, maybe even too hi-po for the intended use.

Keep the cam stock with the automatic - you want the torque down low for dealing with city driving in heavy traffic. The cam is fairly useless without higher-compression pistons and bigger intake, anyway. The Tii dizzy is only better with higher compression - the stock dizzy (in good condition, of course) with a wider advance range is more optimal for your stock motor. The tii manifold and exhaust are good upgrades, though.

Big brake kit is also a waste of money and effort. Stock brakes, properly adjusted, with good pads (such as Textar - no PBR/Repco Metalmaster or Deluxe crap) are more than adequate for spirited driving on public roads. Big brakes also mean more usnprung weight and a rougher ride.

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com

I agree on the H4 head lights, especially if they are properly adjusted....

Also agree on not using the 292 cam or Tii distributor, or big brakes...

Yes the Tii exhaust manifold and exhaust is a great idea, and highly recommended.

My best advice of what to add to what you've already got in the car....

*H&R springs, I like these better than the Eibach and other springs for various reasons. You REALLY need to match those Bilstein Sports with a good set of springs! It will actually ride better.

*A really good tune-up. A properly sorted/tuned good running engine is key to having a most excellent 2002 experience. I'll make house calls to Hawaii for plane tickets and a place to stay. ;)

*Transmission service and check by someone who knows their way around the ZF 3HP12 trans. There can easily be shift band, throttle kick down and other adjustments that can help the '02 shushbox experience be a better one.

*Big brakes are 2nd to having the stock setup safe and working well with quality pads, hoses, fresh fluid and properly adjusted rear and parking brake, etc..

*My '02 big brake prescription is.... If you must. ;)

-The Volvo calipers, with associated E21 small bearing hubs and vented rotors.

-Hawk HPS pads, Yes rather performance oriented, but an awesome pad that I commute with just fine. SAFE

-Tii or E12 528i 23mm master cylinder,

-320i 250mm rear drums with standard shoes,

-very stretched stock or 2002Turbo parking brake cables

-Ate blue or Type200 fluid.... Fresh Dot4 fluid is fine for street.

Not that you'll ever be on a track, but this setup is very track and spirited backroad worthy.

*I understand that the car will not see racetrack use on Hawaii but I do highly recommend taking the equivalent of a BMWCCA Car Control Clinic. It appears that the SCCA Hawaii chapter offers such courses. Learning how to drive better and better control your car in emergency situations is one of the biggest steps you can take to better enjoyment your car. Plus, it's just plain fun! I have taken these classes and sent my wife to them as well. She loved it, and is a safer driver because of the experience! I really can't stress this part enough!

SCCA Hawaii event schedule....

http://www.sccahawaii.org/

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I also agree with the Air horns part and the LED 3rd light comment! Very good safety upgrades!!! Here's my solution to the 3rd brake light issue (and below that my 1976 Fiamm air horns that I scar the shit out of people with :P);

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,352288/highlight,/

101_9707.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

oh snap! thanks for all the valuable feedback. Here's what I've learned:

So i guess I'll hold off on the tii distro with my low compression ratio.

Everyone recommends the tii exhaust and manifold, so I'm feeling good for picking up those cheap!

The big brakes won't make sense unless I come across the parts cheap or have to replace something.

H4's and a 3rd brake light are worth doing ASAP. Maybe I'll put in this spare e30 maplight while I'm illuminating things...

and I have a e30 snail horn i'll throw in as well!

someone said e30 sunvisors... I've got some spares but haven't seen any installed on an '02. I'll look into this.

I have to check into my diff. ratio and maybe I can find some low end power there! thanks ray!

Alternator upgrade: ifayeoh, is this needed for my car? I still have the original radio, but I'll look into it. 84/5 318i right?

I'll have to find some H&R springs somewhere. hmm...

about the cam: According to Mike McCarthy's book and http://www.bimmers.com/02/upgrades/engine.html:

292 Probably the best overall street cam. Works well with either a 32/36 Weber or sidedraft DCOE's. Excellent mid range (3500-5500 rpm) performance. Power gains are seen throughout the rpm range, and the top end really benefits from the breathing capabilities of the DCOE's. This cam will yield 140-150 horsepower with accurately jetted DCOE carbs. Low end is still very impressive. Valve lift: 10.m intake; 7.6mm exhaust.

maybe not so much with my auto?

does anyone have any experience with this unique setup? there's got to be some kind of auto tuners out there! Anyone?

and finally, a big thanks to tom jones. I think we'll have a blast at an SCCA class! what a great 'date'! I've already looked at the website and marked my calendar!

thanks all!

-ken

p.s. - anyone visiting Oaho please PM me first and you might find yourself enjoying the view from an '02! :)

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

I got a rid in a 2002 with a 4 speed in it and the cam moved the power band up, just like the book says. Autos dont really drive in that power band much is the issue. So mostly you'll just burn up more fuel and not notice any real performance increase if my train of thought serves me correctly. If you had a manual, I'd say go for it!! But an auto I'd sell it to someone and put the money towards other parts you need (or shelf it for your 2002 :P) Glad we could help ya!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2