• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S14 Engine...

C.Des

What else would you need for the engine if you used an S14 block and crank? What pistons and oil pan and such?

In addition to the block and crank you would need the S14 pulley (damper), S14 rods, available used for about $300 and a set and custom pistons for about $800.

You would have to machine the M10 timing cover and rear crank seal carrier to fit the larger S14 oil seals. You will also have to plug an oil drain-hole at the rear of the block that is not covered by the M10 head. A standard M10 oil pan will work. Cranks are available with either 84mm or 87mm stroke. Blocks are available with 93.4mm and 95mm (EVO) bore.

The early block can be bored to 95mm, which is about the maximum for either block before you hit water. The available bore and stroke combinations will give you displacements of 2300 to 2465cc.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

What would be the price range for someone to build that vs a rebuilt S14? 5K or less??

What else would you need for the engine if you used an S14 block and crank? What pistons and oil pan and such?

In addition to the block and crank you would need the S14 pulley (damper), S14 rods, available used for about $300 and a set and custom pistons for about $800.

You would have to machine the M10 timing cover and rear crank seal carrier to fit the larger S14 oil seals. You will also have to plug an oil drain-hole at the rear of the block that is not covered by the M10 head. A standard M10 oil pan will work. Cranks are available with either 84mm or 87mm stroke. Blocks are available with 93.4mm and 95mm (EVO) bore.

The early block can be bored to 95mm, which is about the maximum for either block before you hit water. The available bore and stroke combinations will give you displacements of 2300 to 2465cc.

What I did on my last engine was picked up a used s14 crank and pulley from someone converting their us spec s14 to the longer stroke. It was $100. I used the 2002 block, head gasket, connecting rods and je pistons. The cost wasn't too bad and am very happy with the power and cost.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

do you have your heart set on an s14? what do you plan on using the car for?

having driven various 2002 configurations, my thoughts are:

for a street driven car, do an M20. much more useable torque and power and its smoother. quicker than an S14 in this use. and much cheaper.

for a track car or "just because"...S14. you have to be over 4k rpm all the time to get any power out of the S14. that is where you are on a track so it works well. around town, well, it kinda feels like a very expensive and buzzy m10.

JMHO

Ultimately I really don't have my heart set on the s14, I've just always figured if I ever bought an 02 that would be how I'd build it. But I'm starting with clean slate with this car and really have the option of doing whatever with it.

For the money there's a lot of options since acquiring an s14 and then rebuilding or getting it freshed up for the swap is not going to be cheap.

There are a lot of engine options to choose from really. My plans for the car are to have a fun play car and do a few track days every now and then but really it's just another toy. Something the wife and I can cruse to the beach house with in the summer or just go run it through some twisties in the mountains. The car really doesn't have a specific purpose.

The other options I had in mind were a s50 (although I think it'll be too heavy in the front) or even just building the M10 with some sort of injection and a turbo.

I think a turbo M10 could be pretty fun with a 5 speed obviously... I already have the motor. Hmm... Choices Choices Choices lol

Guess I should do some homework on the m20 as well.

Unlike the modern machinery available today, 2002s do not do well at multi-tasking. An occasional track day AND a cruise to the beach house with the wife in the same car is a compromise in both.

The engine may not be your biggest worry if you want a car with multiple personalities. It's the suspension. 2002s that handle are not comfortable.

So I think that you need to narrow your focus of what this car will be used for and build it accordingly. Otherwise, you will end up with a 2002 that will do everything poorly.

The best multi-tasking engine in my opinion is the M42. It does not add too much weight up front which won't necessitate overly stiff springs, it's reliable, available and affordable. It has adequate power for the track and is still smooth enough on the street. And you won't need to cut up the nose much.

Suspension will be depend on how much comfort you are willing to give up for the sake of handling.

Let us know what you decide.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I've had several 2002's. One racecar with a big cam and sidedrafts, a tii, etc.

The exact previous engine in this car was removed from a 82 320i (1.8L) in 1985 and put in. I drove it for at least 180,000 miles.

I've got the dyno chart somewhere from when it was running poorly with 45DCOES, but not the current megasquirted setup. It's got MUCH more power with sequential ignition.

The dyno tuning session with DCOES showed about 130HP and 125 ftlb of torque.

I spent years tuning the carbs. After megasquirting.. I realize the problem was the ignition

Just happened to run across a Roundie running a Turbo M20 this afternoon. . It was setup for the track with wide flares, roll bar and a carbon fibre dash. The guy who built it runs a BMW repair facility and has owned it for 30 years. Says it runs 10 Pounds of boost. Pretty darn neat. My newly acquired 72' has a hard time going over 70 MPH. Will start looking at what ails it, but I think I won't be happy till it can cruise at 85+ comfortably.

Bob S.

I drive LA freeways.. 85mph is a requirement!! I"ve got a 5spd and 3.64 LSD. I wanted more power to get to speed and a 3.64 in order to cruise at 85mph.

Hi Chris, I visited your Blog and am impressed with the work you have done to improve your M10. Can you describe how it pulls now, the fuel economy it gets and what amount of HP and Torque it puts down, redline, etc. Sounds really innovative.

Bob S.

The engine pulls very hard.. It's pretty easy to spin the tires. I was pulling out of the gas station a couple months ago. I was in a little bit of a hurry to make the light. Both tires broke free and I got a little fishtailing, without even trying.

Josh (josh72ooh2) would be the best one to ask. I let him take it for a drive before I pulled the engine. He did a back to back between his and mine. It starts, stops, idles well. (idles much better than with the DCOEs) I believe most of it is due to the sequential coils. The engine revs much higher than with DCOEs. The fuel mileage is somewhere around 25 MPG.

In retrospect, I wish I would have ported the head.

I stuck with the 91mm pistons which is slightly less than the stock 2.3L, but allows me to easily keep the 2002tii head gasket and block.

Bob,

Thanks for the compliment. My mechanical engineering background makes me probably more detail oriented (which often is not a good thing :) . Sometimes it hard to let things go.

I updated my blog with the specs for my pistons.

I used an article from european car 1995 titled "BMW performance engine rebuild". If you email me, I send you a scan of it.

Could you please post up the scans of the engine rebuild article please ?

Thanks,Mal.

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400318 resto

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400178 parts

RHD 1800 NK sedan VIN 0998094 parts

RHD 320i E21 5 speed parts

RHD 1602 ? twin mikunis,5 speed. POS driver