• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much do 13" wheels limit braking?

Nicad

Considering 4 wheel discs on my 1972 and would like the option of running the stock 13's from time to time. ARe there good recipes for 4 wheel discs running 13's or would a swap to 14 inch make brake upgrades a lot more effective? Thanks.

Bob S.

I was thinking of running a 185-70-13 in whatever sticks best. I could go with the Federal 595 in a 205-60-13 or 185-60-13. If I go 205, I will need wider rims than stock. If I go 14, I was thinking of something like a Star Spec in a 185-60-14 with either E30 BBS basket weaves or Panasports (Anyone know which is lighter?). I am after a solid, progressive brake feel. The car's current stock setup on older bushings seems a little slow to respond.

Bob S.

• Administrators

stock brakes work great. I've used them on an autocross car for year. The only reason i changed is to go lighter. And i still run the same rotor in front.

If you think your brakes are responding slow, then there is a problem with the system. old fluid, crappy pads and not adjusted rear drums will cause all the issues.

if you want to go to rear disk, there is not much room.

here is the comon VW rear caliper upgrade. As you can see, not much room even with a 15" wheel

Rear disk

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

My stock refurbed stuff works great (I will admit my rear drums need adjusting) but other than that stock brakes on an 02 are a great thing!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Bob, the 13 tires and wheels will provide adequate stopping. I suggest that you find a set of the early 2002 ti/tii " wide wheels. I have found that these wheels have a unique shape that provides decent clearance for larger calipers, as well as the 250mm (E21) drums. The '74 -'76 5" steel 13" wheels do not provide the same clearance as the early steel 5" wheels.

I have the Girling four piston calipers along with the 250mm drums. The braking energy exceeds the grip of the Yokohama T-4 185/70-13 tires, but that's OK, as you will hone your threshold braking technique.

post-94-13667646224779_thumb.jpg

post-94-13667646225856_thumb.jpg

Thanks Schwarz 75, I like the look of your setup. I have the stock 72 rims with the same hubcaps. I believe they are 5 inches wide but have not measured. Just finding good 13" tires seems like challenge enough. The Tii rims are wider?

Bob S.

don't assume anything

just pop off a hubcap - the rim data

is stamped right there - between the lug holes-

don't even need to jack the car up

look for numbers like :

5 x 13 ET29 09/71 it's all right there

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

What are you planning on doing with the car?

The stock brakes are ok on the street- the tire's the limit.

The ITB (that's Improved Touring, not induction)

squad made them last ok on the track.

That said, if you are up for the work, the e21 rotor can be

tucked inside a stock steelie, and you can always make something

work on the back. It's just welding, after all.

Well, that and grinding!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL