• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CA out of state registration Q

I have done this a few times (not with 2002s). All DMV wants to see is a VIN check. If you know any cops, they can sign off as well and it is much easier than waiting at the DMV. No one ever popped my hood to check anything. That being said, if you take it to the office to have it checked you never know.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

I have done this a few times (not with 2002s). All DMV wants to see is a VIN check. If you know any cops, they can sign off as well and it is much easier than waiting at the DMV. No one ever popped my hood to check anything. That being said, if you take it to the office to have it checked you never know.

+2, totally agree, DMV inspectors just want to see that the VIN on the car matches the title. I would inspect the title to make sure it doesn't say 76 and the seller thinks its a 75 model. If it says 76, its not worth the headache to register it in CA.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Hi--

I re-registered tii in California about 16 months ago-- no problems. PO was in St. Louis; he drove it there from Coupe King in Wilmington where Peter Sliskovich restored this car from an estate-sale. Coupe King needed to register as new, so the car built in May 74 is registered as a 73. It has almost no stickers under the hood, but the DMV staff was not flustered (unlike about 20 years ago when the emissions sticker on my late 73-original owner California car- had some missing flecks).

Last year after driving back I simply and carefully followed the instructions on DMV's website, with a bill of sale executed by PO. DMV was pleasant and happy to register this car back in our state.

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga