• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to decide how to move forward with #13.

Jbird

Should I build a historic racecar from #13 or restore it?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should I build a historic racecar from #13 or restore it?

• Build period racecar now!
    • Properly restore very slowly!

As some of you know, late last year I got a chance to buy the 13th US production 2002 built. We have spent the beginning of this year collecting some great NOS parts, and getting space and time set aside at the shop to start breaking the car down to a bare tub.

The problem I am starting to have now is sourcing an A+ interior of the quality that the car deserves. I have a good dash now, but the price of a very good interior, with seals and the oddball bits that were only on those very early cars is ridiculous. Not to mention the cost of a truly quality paint job for a proper restoration would be astronomical, after paying the $3k-$4k I am going to have to spend for panels on the car. (one rusty bugger)

So one thought was to build a vintage racer out of it. We are getting ready to build a shop car to campaign anyways, and I could build a proper period correct race car for far less than I can properly restore the car. (Not often you can say that, but we already have most of the stuff we would need at the shop from other builds, right down to original Alpina suspension components.)

I could eventually do a proper restoration on the car, but with paint materials sky rocketing, it might be 3 or 4 years before the car was back together, where as it could be on the track in time for The Mitty next year the other way.

I am sure I have already made some purists vomit all over their key boards! I was hoping we could bring it to The Vintage and let people vote there, but it looks like we are moving to a new location at the end of the month. ( A move that was scheduled for later this summer) So we will likely be stuck here. I have a feeling I already know the overwhelming answer to the question, but I figured I would put it to a vote, and let the community decide.

Thanks in advance for your input. Also if anybody has a 68 1600 with a flawless interior they want to part with I wouldn't be upset about building a 1600 racecar, and salvaging the interior for Lucky #13. :)

post-17627-13667642737582_thumb.jpg

68 2002 #1660013 Lucky # 13
75 2002 M20 swap

Excuse my ignorance, but 13th... schmirteenth.

This is not a rare Ferrari or Bizzarini, it's BMW's base economy car, one they made tens of thousands of. There are plenty of them already in museums around the world for people to go stare at and view in their pristine state.

I question the wisdom in a full-out resto on this car anyway, especially in this economy.

I say stop the rust, get a decent paint job on it and a decent interior. This way the car is preserved while not breaking the bank - but even that's not cheap.

If you wanna race it, race it! If that's the most economical thing to do, by all means do it!

Whether on the road or on the track, at least you're getting the car back to it's intended purpose - to be driven.

Personally I'd hate to see it all gussied up and then never driven unless the conditions were perfect. That's not what these cars were built for.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

That thing's a rat- race it!

Actually- look at what you can best do with it, and if you NEED a garage

queen, restore it.

But if you NEED a race car, then race it.

It's a car, after all, and cars are things you drive.

But yeah, I'd start with something more complete for a garage queen.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Build the vintage racecar. I have (2) 2002's, a pretty nice 73 Tii and an XP Autocross car. Guess which one spends most of it's time in storage and which one gets used quite a bit. Hint, it's not the original, careful not to scratch it or park it too close to anybody car.

post-17627-13667642750114_thumb.jpg

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

It's your car, do what you want. Just don't think that making it into a racecar gets you halfway to a restoration. The mods to make it into a competitive racecar cannot be easily or cheaply undone.

Some people will take a nice car, install a cage, and stick on some numbers and go vintage racing. That is fine if you want a high-speed parade car. If you want to run anywhere near the front, you will need to invest the same or more work and $$$ than you would for a full restoration.

If I really wanted a 2002 racecar, I would spend $20K on a nice one that some other sucker spent $35K on. Well no I probably wouldn't because I like to engineer my own stuff and get a kick out of driving something I built. But I would buy a solid but ratty squaretail and go for it.

The sad truth is that it does not pay to restore ANY 2002 at this time. If you got a free tii and did all the work yourself, you would invest a bunch of money and 500 hours and maybe break even. So you are not doing it for an investment you must be doing it because you like it. Just decide what you will love doing the most.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

As some of you know, late last year I got a chance to buy the 13th US production 2002 built. We have spent the beginning of this year collecting some great NOS parts, and getting space and time set aside at the shop to start breaking the car down to a bare tub.

The problem I am starting to have now is sourcing an A+ interior of the quality that the car deserves. I have a good dash now, but the price of a very good interior, with seals and the oddball bits that were only on those very early cars is ridiculous. Not to mention the cost of a truly quality paint job for a proper restoration would be astronomical, after paying the $3k-$4k I am going to have to spend for panels on the car. (one rusty bugger)

So one thought was to build a vintage racer out of it. We are getting ready to build a shop car to campaign anyways, and I could build a proper period correct race car for far less than I can properly restore the car. (Not often you can say that, but we already have most of the stuff we would need at the shop from other builds, right down to original Alpina suspension components.)

I could eventually do a proper restoration on the car, but with paint materials sky rocketing, it might be 3 or 4 years before the car was back together, where as it could be on the track in time for The Mitty next year the other way.

I am sure I have already made some purists vomit all over their key boards! I was hoping we could bring it to The Vintage and let people vote there, but it looks like we are moving to a new location at the end of the month. ( A move that was scheduled for later this summer) So we will likely be stuck here. I have a feeling I already know the overwhelming answer to the question, but I figured I would put it to a vote, and let the community decide.

Thanks in advance for your input. Also if anybody has a 68 1600 with a flawless interior they want to part with I wouldn't be upset about building a 1600 racecar, and salvaging the interior for Lucky #13. :)

After reading your post a couple times it sounds like you are already leaning towards the track car. I voted track car as it would result in a quicker/cheaper project. I did say cheaper not cheap.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

It's your car, do what you want. Just don't think that making it into a racecar gets you halfway to a restoration. The mods to make it into a competitive racecar cannot be easily or cheaply undone.

Some people will take a nice car, install a cage, and stick on some numbers and go vintage racing. That is fine if you want a high-speed parade car. If you want to run anywhere near the front, you will need to invest the same or more work and $$$ than you would for a full restoration.

If I really wanted a 2002 racecar, I would spend $20K on a nice one that some other sucker spent $35K on.

If (and by if, it seems I mean when) the car is built into a racecar, it will not be built with the idea of ever returning to a street car, or partial use car. It will be a competitive (hopefully) track only car. We have built some show cars that sometimes go racing for people, but that is not what I am after.

Glenn, I tell people once a week, it seems, to save their money on a restoration by purchasing a completed car that somebody else is willing to take the hit on, and then add your own touches. That having been said, building this particular car from scratch is something I really want to do for myself :) When you build nice things for other people for a living, it is very gratifying to take the time out to build something for yourself!! And trust me, I have no illusions about it being a cheap route to completing the car, just not as bank breaking up front.

Personally I'd hate to see it all gussied up and then never driven unless the conditions were perfect. That's not what these cars were built for.

I have two very nice 02's already, and I drive one or the other everyday. Usually as commuters the near hour to Atlanta from my house. I don't believe in trailer queens, or garaged cars. My thought has always been if you're aren't driving it why did you build it?

I am glad to see there is so much support for the idea of a track car out of this particular car. As a bunch of you have said, it is my car and I do not ever plan on the car leaving my posession so it really shouldn't matter, but if the entire community was going to be up in arms about it I would have had to think about going the other route. Looks like we'll see you guys at the track!!!!

Cheers

68 2002 #1660013 Lucky # 13
75 2002 M20 swap