• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received my DOB on my 72

Jim356

I finally got around to sending my email to Andreas Harz. Pretty cool and I suggest that everyone do it!

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2580104 was manufactured on December 30th, 1971 and delivered on January 5th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Verona, paint code 024.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Christina Hartung

I am still curious why they make it sound like the car was in NY three days after being completed??? Hoffman may have bought it. Did hoffman have to pay shipping??? How long did the car take to get to America?? Were they shipped in containers?? Does anyone have pictures en route???

Discusssed many, many, many times here. Hoffman took title to the cars in Germany, FOB as they say (free on board). They were driven on and off the cargo ships.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Then it should say delivered to Hoffman Motors in Germany. How long was the voyage??? How much did shipping cost??? Was shipping paid by who??? These are very fair questions for an archive. I think most people would prefer to know the date it was driven onto US soil.

I think it's safe to assume that BMW was not going to ship the car to Hoffman Motors in NY unless they'd arranged to buy it through their international arrangements with the factory. Thus, probably about three days after the car was completed the paper work on the car in Germany was completed, it was now Max's car and was off to the port for shipping, a process that probably took around three weeks total.

Bob Napier

Hoffman was a New York Corporation so BMW's records show them as taking title as others have also stated within 3 days or so. Who knows what Hoffman's actual cost from BMW was and what he paid for shipping. The window sticker probably only reflects shipping within the U.S. that the dealer charged and passed back to Hoffman. I would rather know which dealers sold the cars I own than when it rolled on U.S. soil but that data is NLA, it was Hofmman's and before the days of BMW NA which didn't exist back then until BMW took away Hoffman's distributorship.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Once again state the car was delivered to Hoffman in Germany. Not delivered to Hoffman in New York.Did hoffman add the cost to the cars for shipping? My point is none of the birth records make any sense.You are all paying how much to have someone tell you your car arrived in New York three days after it was made??????

The nice thing about the Birth Certificate is it will tell you the color and VIN, manufacture date, etc. the car was born with. I agree it's expensive, but worth the money IMO.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I think it all depends on how you read. "..........to the BMW importer, Hoffman Motors Corp in New York City" Now change the "in" to "of" and you should get the picture. Remember, this is coming from a country where English is not the first language, so you have to make allowance for that.

And the email is FREE as mentioned in this thread.

Richard, chill.