• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Poly motor mount failure

bjbarbieri

I am amazed and now scared(i've got these on my car) that the threaded stud does not go all the way through the poly bushing. Perhaps the junk ones could be drilled and a appropriate strength and length stud could be used.

It's a wonder those were ever sold to begin with.

bob

If the stud went all the way through, then it's not an isolation mount but rather a solid mount (to function as intended, it cannot be a single stud).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the stud went all the way through, then it's not an isolation mount but rather a solid mount (to function as intended, it cannot be a single stud).

^^^Ken is right.

IE has already addressed both issues with the mounts, what we are looking at is the failure of the older style mount. Out of the hundreds of mounts that IE sold there was a small percentage of failure rates

The first revision was the incorporating of reinforcement brackets on the underside of the upper plate.

The second revision is the mount is made out of a stronger/stiffer durometer urethane (AKA the green compound, 80 instead of 70.).

irelandengineering12-9-10E30motormountsfi2.jpg

And yes, I don't shout about it but I do work at Ireland Engineering. I am an enthusiast first and an IE guy second, so please if you have any issue contact me

So any reported failures on these new ones guys? I'm planning on ordering a set, but it would bother me if I had to send them back for new ones.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

UPDATE:

I was contacted by Andrew from Ireland this morning. Huge props to them. He called me probably not too long after they even got in this morning. I did not expect to hear from them so quickly. I was extremely impressed with his effort to correct the situation. He explained how they had a bad batch of left side mounts around the time when I bought mine, and that the polyurethane did not adhere properly to the bolt in some cases. Without even having to ask, he offered to send me a replacement mount at no charge even though these were a couple of years old. He explained that this is a new design using more metal parts set into the urethane to anchor it better, as well as using a harder urethane. It's unfortunate that most of the time you end up reading negative posts about vendors and supply houses. It was refreshing to get such good treatment for a change. Thanks again to Andrew. I look forward to receiving the new mount, and will continue to be an Ireland customer.

IE is quite good with their customer service. They sell good stuff and back it 100 percent. On a side note the hockypuck trick works.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Great......I have these on my M2! I went with these 'cause I have like 3/8 of an inch clearance between the radiator and water pump. I was hoping the stiffer mounts would eliminate any forward movement and keep my radiator in one piece.

Phil

Phil/Bomb Guy in Colorado

2002 E46M3

2002 E46 325 xi

1991 E30 325ix

1970 2002 M2

1966 Mustang

Great......I have these on my M2! I went with these 'cause I have like 3/8 of an inch clearance between the radiator and water pump. I was hoping the stiffer mounts would eliminate any forward movement and keep my radiator in one piece.

Phil

3/8th in clearance? dang, that is a lot for an M2! :-)

2xM3

UPDATE:

....It was refreshing to get such good treatment for a change...quote]

Wonderfull that they let you in on their secret, you know what would be even better?..a company that discovers they have a problem and then contacts any customers who might have been sent bad parts from that batch hopefully before they fail.

So, are the new ones all black like the pic?

Michael Deilke

Whidbey Island, Washington

206-714-3379

Wonderfull that they let you in on their secret, you know what would be even better?..a company that discovers they have a problem and then contacts any customers who might have been sent bad parts from that batch hopefully before they fail.

So, are the new ones all black like the pic?

I have contacted a number of customers, but as said by others, they have had the yellow ones last several years (so far). If ANYBODY feels endangered with your yellow driver's side mounts I'll be happy to swap them for the green compound at no charge. please just email me through the "contact us" email found at the website.