• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater box W/ A/C

landon

I noticed my windows fogging up last year so while I have my carpet out I take a look under the heater box. I see one drop of coolant clinging to the bottom of the box. I can look at the core and it looks dry. I am assuming I have a leak somewhere that will require removal of the box. Can this be done without opening up the A/C system? I have a Behr unit. The A/C was installed about 17 years ago along with a thorough heater rebuild.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Guest Anonymous

Unbolt the brackets which secure the A/C unit to the tunnel and above to the dash. Remove the side panels and you should be able to slide the A/C unit over to allow access to the heater box without disconnecting the refrigerant lines for the A/C.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

Sherman is spot on.

I have done this several times to remove the heater box and wipers.

Place a small box on the passenger side floor to raise the A/C unit up so it doesn't pull on the (2) lines.

Make sure to tag all the wires before you remove them from the switches and blower motor.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1. you may have to disconnect the clips that hold the freon hoses to the fender well in the engine compartment to give you enough slack--squirt a little silicone on the hose where it passes through the firewall so it'll slide easier.

2. Maneuver the A/C stuff into the driver's footwell, as there is less in the way on the passenger side. It helps to remove the glovebox.

3. Disconnect the heater hoses first, then plug the heater core nipples with corks so coolant won't get all over your carpet. Plug the hose ends too so you won''t lose coolant.

4. Don't disconnect the heater valve cable from its bracket; disconnect the bracket from the valve--and note both its position and the temp control lever position; otherwise you have a 50% chance of reinstalling it backwards, so it shows cold when you have heat and vice-versa. Also note wire positions where they plug into the heater so you'll get 'em back correctly.

Some years ago I did a column on removing a heater from around a Behr A/C unit; drop me an e-mail if you'd like a copy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

......before you go heater/A-C diving

you sure your front windshield seal isn't leaking ?

that'll cause fogging up - - as well as a

back glass seal . . . . . ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Well, the window seals have been replaced in recent years. No water on the floors. I was getting a foggy film on all the interior glass on hot dry days. Colorado air is really dry. The occasional smell of antifreeze and 1 drop I did see lead me to believe there is a leak somewhere.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Due to the wiring, I swing the faceplate to the left and place in the driver's footwell. The evaporator assembly swings to the right due to the (2) refrigerant lines in the bulkhead.

Behr faceplate and radio removed from console

1aa51de7.jpg

Blower motor wire connector on left side near accelerator pedal

1763044e.jpg

Don't forget about the condensate drain! If this is cracked or missing, then the condensate water will go into the car.

068014e3.jpg

Here is my evaporator moved to the passenger footwell so I could get to the heater box

3cd17da4.jpg

0d77f3b3.jpg

A/C relay under left side of dashboard (your location may vary)a9843352.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"