• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever R/R a steering column?

golf73

Guest Anonymous

A few questions:

Not sure what your issues is but are you sure it is in the column? They are pretty stout and if you have "play" issues they are most likely contained in the box, tie rods or centerlink.

If you want to know how to remove the column it is pretty easy.

1. There is a rag joint on the box remove the upped bolt on the rag joint and couple (remove the bolt completely) and mark the shaft for reassembly.

2. There is a collar on the shaft which bolts to the firewall (4 - 8 or 10 mm nuts)

3. There are 4 tamper proof bolts that fasten the column to the dash, if these are original they will have a cone head, you will need to grind a slot or edge into these you you can remove them.

4. Unplug harness and the whole unit should pull out in one piece.

Upon installation you can purchase the new tamper proof bolts from BMW (they are single use and the cone shears upon installation) or use regular bolts.

I probably missed a step or two but I hope that helps.

Anthony

Thanks for the replies guys, maybe you didn't see my other post???

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,354730/highlight,/

I have pulled the column, and mounted a NEW steering lock assembly (tried just removing the lock cylinder, but the middle piece came out when I used a screwdriver to operate the switch), see:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,353795/highlight,/

but no real problems there getting it out of the car. Taking off the fracture bolts were a snap by cutting slots in them with a Dremel cut-off disc... BUT on reinstalling, going by the factory manual, it does not describe the preloading of the steering column clearly. I was hoping someone could verify or gimme a quick run-down of the correct procedure for the REINSTALL/PRELOADING of the column. The factory manual just doesn't go into enough detail. I'm calling my buddies out to my house on Saturday for an extra hand or 2, and I want to be able to know the proper way to do it and fix it that day.