• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on this new car

Jim,

They look like a fun little car, but I heard that Dodge/Chrysler or whoever they are, will be bringing the Abarth version here. More $ for sure but a bit more sporty.

my 2 cents.

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

To paraphrase Dan Neil, Pulitzer-winning automotive journalist: "the New 500 will be the sparkly phone that every teenage girl will have to have." I think the Essesse may be fun, though, and should give a MINI Cooper S a run for (a lot less) money. The new plant in Mexico will be able to produce cars for the North American market for about $4K less than the Polish-built ones, making them much a good bit cheaper than the MINI and other direct competitors.

David

We have a UK-spec 1.2 liter New 500 at Lane Motor Museum. It's fun, but 67hp does not do the chassis justice. The interior is pretty nice - not as blatant as a new MINI, but functional while still providing modern conveniences such as a USB port, steering wheel audio and dash controls, etc. Rear seat access is quite narrow, but I read that the US spec cars will be revised to have a wider opening and different seats altogether - the ones on the FIATUSA site are very different from ours.

We have just opened a "75 Years of the Fiat 500" exhibit, in anticipation of Fiat actually starting sales here. (http://lanemotormuseum.org/fiat-500-through-the-years-exhibit)

Of course, for over a year they said sales would begin in Dec. 2010. Then on Dec. 29th they announced that, well, maybe in March 2011. Autoweek states they are on sale, but other than a delivery in PA, I have not heard from any of my FLU buddies of any other deliveries. Their national convention is in Nashville this summer, and the local dealer will not even return phone calls or emails about participants taking delivery at the event. So far, Fiat's return to the US is not looking very positive!

All that said, the car has a lot of potential - the 1.4 100hp engine should make up for a lot of the 1.2's shortcomings.

David in Nashville

I HAVE to go to your museum some day. I was watching the report on it on My Classic Car last week and my wife loved all the weird little cars and, especially, the propeller-driven car.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Harry: Re. the Lane Motor Museum --- It is a great time, definitely go see their collection of eclectic mini-cars. In 2006, I went with my son, Alec. Now, I want to go again.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz