• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My M20 Swap

Deutschman

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The difference in size can not be made up by changing the length of the steering arms and/or the tie rod assembly?

Well it can but it's not good. Problem is that if the inner pivot points are wider than control arm pivots it messes up the toe during suspension travel. It's fine in static adjustment but dynamically not good. Yes, you can turn the wheels and drive it but...

I still find that original -02 steering is quite good (when in good condition) even compared to many cars with rack and pinion style steering.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I have been doing a good bit of reading on the e21 rack swap, and have been through a few of the older threads on the FAQ about the topic. It seams like some people are happy about it and some people are not. No one on ether side really lists any solid evidence for or against the rack swap. Lots of strong opinions with no measurements math or drawings to back them up. Many people say it does this, or it doesnt work because of this, or it is great because of this, but can not really explain their findings or theories. How ever I know that people use 2002 with an e21 rack swap on the track with no problems and seam happy about it. I guess the only way I am going to get solid answers and solid numbers is to actually do the work my self and then find out whats what on my own. Maybe it is just my inability to understand what others are trying to tell me.

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Got some work done today. I shortened the pitman arms to 130mm which from my studies is the right length with the e21 rack. I built a cool welding jig for them that I never used for any welding but it was fun to do anyways.

I also helped a friend powder coat some small parts for his mountain bike.

If anyone wants some small parts powder coated I can do them as long as they fit in a 12"x12"x7" toaster oven :)

Im going to take the arms to my local welder, whom I trust a lot, on Monday. He should be able to weld the arms up for me. He did my drivers side motor mount as well.

photo-1088.jpg

photo-1041.jpg

photo-433.jpg

photo-1526.jpg

photo-1344.jpg

photo-2337.jpg

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

I had my my steering arms welded at Al's Welding (love that place) in SF yesterday and picked them up today. Then promptly powder coated them black. Yummy!

photo-215.jpg

I also got this little guy in the mail today.

photo-997.jpg

The only few things I have left to attend to before the actual swap commences is ordering my Painless wiring kit, getting my fly wheel machined (lightened), and ordering some drive line parts from Blunttech. :D

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

I think that could be my favorite touring ever, just something about it. It has it's flaws and it shows them proudly.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Made this little heater block off plate out of some aluminum weeks and weeks ago but never took a picture of it. I ordered the whole set of heater block off plate and plug from AKG and asked them if they could just send me the plug and exclude the plate and adjust the price accordingly. We will see if they do.

photo-651.jpg

I also ordered some urethane e21 steering rack bushings from Bavarian Autosport, and asked Blunt for a price quote on a whole list of parts. This Wednesday I am driving out to talk to Tim at Morgan's Machine to get my flywheel lightened, and work out some plumbing for my fuel lines with their front desk guy Chris.

That just about wraps up all the parts I will need. I am sure I will find a few odds and ends missing or broken but I am very confident I have everything I need at this point. Ill have to pick up some metal for fab work.

What gauge metal do I need for body work?

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

I've been using 18 Gauge for my panels, but it seems slightly thicker than the stock panels, depending on location. I would say 20 gauge would be fine unless it's a floor board or somewhere else that would see any real loading.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

So I spent a lot of time trying to find the right fittings to make the stock m20 oil cooler work with some custom longer braided lines. It was a no go. I just ended up ordering two m22 male to -10an fittings along with a cheap Ebay 13" oil cooler with -10an fittings.

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg