• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My M20 Swap

Deutschman

Sorry for the bad picture. I was to lazy to take these parts inside for better light and so on.

I got my black Friday IE crank scraper and oil pan baffle. As soon as I install them I will comment on fit and finish. How ever I will say this. With the right piece of aluminum and some measuring I could have made my own baffle VERY easily and saved some money.

photo-739.jpg

Got the crank scraper and wind age tray in. Sadly I only got a picture of the tray. I was to busy trying to get all the shit to line up while I was outing the scraper in to take a picture of it installed. Everything fit well though. I did not have to cut or other wise alter any of the parts to get them to fit right. Very happy with both the pieces.

photo-1585.jpg

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did some grinding on my intake manifold today. I didnt take any pictures of my manifold, but you can see what I ground off in this picture. There are these small raised areas right about the bottom right hand bolt holes that can be ground away.

5749424392_c07c45180e.jpg

I dont know if it will really help any, but I had the time and the tools so I thought I would do it for shits and giggles.

Then I got the manifold mounted up with some bolts instead of studs, and fabed up a aluminum oil stick holder.

photo-1773.jpg

photo-749.jpg

photo-835.jpg

Th th th, thats all folks!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work on this project.I particularly like the LSD write up.Very useful.

I also recently scored a Milwaukee cut off saw.Picked it up off the sidewalk,was put out for trash.Just needed a new switch.$39 later and all is well.Nice.

Keep up the good work.

1970 2002 Restoration Project

2002 330XI

I particularly like the LSD write up.Very useful.

Yeah, Me too!!

I just did the E30 LSD unit swap in my car last week. Works like a charm.

Thanks and keep up the good work!!

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

I particularly like the LSD write up.Very useful.

Yeah, Me too!!

I just did the E30 LSD unit swap in my car last week. Works like a charm.

Thanks and keep up the good work!!

Nice work on this project.I particularly like the LSD write up.Very useful.

I also recently scored a Milwaukee cut off saw.Picked it up off the sidewalk,was put out for trash.Just needed a new switch.$39 later and all is well.Nice.

Keep up the good work.

I am so happy that the work i did can help out some other people.

Hopefully the info I post up on the actual work involved in placing the m20 in the 2002 will help people as well. That should happen in April in ether my dads very small cramped and cluttered garage, or my landlord slightly large clean garage.

I am acquiring so many tools and machines during this build that my old work bench at my dads is really getting to small for everything especially sins I want a drill press as well. I also want a good welding bench which will need some more room.

It is high time that I find a better work area. Anyone have any leads on such a place in the bay area?

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's really weird. I didn't get a really good look because it was kind of dark and I couldn't get the car up very high, but the trans mount looked ok. How ever I did not see the actual rubber mounts. I dont think the engine could have shifted. The drivers engine mount has been welded and reinforced very well. I think the whole shifter lincage is loose and interfering with stuff.

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Well I scored a few little somethings today to take care of my steering box problems. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and doing some mental drawings (I am a very visual thinker) and I think I can make this work. I picked up a steering rack from a 318ti sport (same ratio as a e36 M3), and I also scored a e30 steering column with a key. I know what people are thinking... Isn't the e30/e36 steering rack in front of the sub frame and the 2002 steering linkage behind the sub frame, hows it going to work? Well I think with the right welding and fab skills I can get the e36 rack to mount to the back of my sub frame. Then all I need to do is fiddle around with the length of the steering arm off the bottom of the strut housings. Should be fun. if I can not get it to work I can always sell it.

photo-1710.jpg

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

You won't be able to use the rack because the worm gears are cut backwards of the behind subframe racks. With that unit, unless the subframe sits way behind the front wheels, turning the steering wheel left will push the left tie rod out. It needs to come in because the '02 steering linkage connects behind the rear wheel so you pull in the left tie rod to turn left.

I see. Because on the e36 the steering tie rod connects to the front end of the strut assembly where as on the 2002 it connects to the back of the strut assembly. With the e36 rack when you turn the steering wheel right the steering rack pushed on the passenger side steering arm to make the wheel turn right, and when you turn the steering wheel in a 2002 the steering box pulls on the passenger side steering arm to make the wheel turn right.

Hhhhhmmmm....? So the rack from an e21 should work then because it works on the steering arms that come off the struts the same way as on the 2002. So I should sell this steering rack and get a e21 steering rack.

e30/e36

photo-2445.jpg

2002 w/ e30/e36 rack

photo-2334.jpg

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

yep.

Even the e21 rack isn't ideal because of how much wider it is than the '02 center link where the tie rods attach. The best rack would be one which is as close to the '02s width as possible, steering lock to lock can be changed with a steering quickener if necessary. I plan on picking up an extra front subframe to mod for the e21 rack. I've spent a while researching it and looking at the options. Although I've never driven a car with the conversion it seems like most of the "problems" occur towards the end of the stroke on either side. Since I plan on street/track for my car this won't be an issue, for an auto cross car it I think it wouldn't be a wise idea.

You could try finding a RHD E36 rack, that way it'll turn correctly.

They're still to wide though.

Or try looking for a FWD steering rack, they usually mount behind the subframe and can be pretty narrow.

I've taken some quick measurements from a Hyundai Accent (95-99) steering rack and it appeared to be pretty close (width and steering lock)

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

yep.

Even the e21 rack isn't ideal because of how much wider it is than the '02 center link where the tie rods attach. The best rack would be one which is as close to the '02s width as possible, steering lock to lock can be changed with a steering quickener if necessary. I plan on picking up an extra front subframe to mod for the e21 rack. I've spent a while researching it and looking at the options. Although I've never driven a car with the conversion it seems like most of the "problems" occur towards the end of the stroke on either side. Since I plan on street/track for my car this won't be an issue, for an auto cross car it I think it wouldn't be a wise idea.

The difference in size can not be made up by changing the length of the steering arms and/or the tie rod assembly? I know there are at least two people who track their car with a e21 rack. There is a French guy who is/was using the e21 rack on his 'o2 and made some really short steering arms for it.

I am going to pick up a e21 rack and try it for shits and giggles. Anything is going to be better then the steering box I have now. Even with the $80 I spent on the e36 rack last night and the $100 I will probably spend on getting a e21 rack shipped to me, I still will not have not spent as much as a rebuilt box will cost.

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Went to my local metal shop today and picked up some 1/4" scrap to do some practice welds on with my Hobart 140. I am really liking this machine and am soooooo happy I did not buy a super cheap MIG welder! I had the wire speed at 40 and the power all the way up with a nice steady bizzzzzzzzzzzzzz. For the first few beads with the 140 preheating the 1/4 helped a lot, but ones I had some welds down and and the metal was nice and hot everything was kosher.

This was my favorite weld of the day. It had good penetration, was fairly clean, and flat. Not perfect but I am a beginner so it made me happy. I was using a cursive "e" movement with the bead.

Fresh weld.

photo-655.jpg

Cleaned weld.

photo-2145.jpg

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg