• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My M20 Swap

Deutschman

Any reason you didn't want to use the stock M20 cooler? I was thinking the long, thin profile would work nicely in the available area in the '02

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They make Painless for BMWs?

Justin

No. It is a generic 12 circuit street legal race car chassis harness. I will use the stock m20 engine harness on top of it.

Any reason you didn't want to use the stock M20 cooler? I was thinking the long, thin profile would work nicely in the available area in the '02

It is impossible to find all the m22x1.5 fittings to be able to use custom lengths of after market hose for the stock oil cooler. I spent three days calling people and asking people at shops and on forums about the fittings. No luck. You could go to a hydraulics shop and have them make you custom length hoses using the stock fittings off of the old hoses, or have 10an fittings welded to the original cooler, but that is just to much of a pain in the ass. The cooler I ordered is 13"x6"x2" with 16 rows and should fit nicely under a air dam kind of like this.

dscn1232reducedtp4.jpg

dscn1239reducedgm4.jpg

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Picked up my fly wheel today. It looks great, plus it went on a diet and lost 3+lbs.

I also picked up my fuel line and a fuel filter. I'll have to go back to get some oil cooler lines and hose ends when I take measurements for the houses.

photo-1414.jpg

Lost wait in a bag!

photo-1022.jpg

Fuel filter

photo-1622.jpg

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

I got a few small parts today. I was suppose to get two m22x1.5-10an fittings for the oil feed lines from the block to the cooler, how ever I had to order them from two different suppliers and one of them sent me the wrong parts! That is after they said the part was "in stock" and then told me they did not have it and had to drop ship it from their supplier. Super lame!!! I am sending the fitting back.

I also got my urethane e21 steering rack bushings for the manual rack conversion from Bavarian Autosport.

And a sick steam cleaner to clean my engine bay before I cut all the unnecessary brackets out and paint it. I have wanted one of these for a while! Iy should help me keep my cars and engine bay clean further down the road as well.

My oil cooler and a few other odds and ends should be in later on this week as well. I still need to measure the length for my oil cooler lines and go get them from Morgans Machine and Speed Shop. Then next month I will order my last parts from Blunttech. After that it is just a waiting game till April.

photo-1372.jpg

photo-1580.jpg

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Short shifter for the '02 came in today along with a bunch of other odds and ends like this braided clutch line (not sure if it will fit yet...).

photo-1298.jpg

photo-1012.jpg

Few more parts showed up. All this plus an electric timing light. I love parts!

photo-1551.jpg

photo-1008.jpg

photo-864.jpg

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

I am using all the parts from the 2002 diff, besides the actual LSD unit from the small case e30 diff. So the ring and pinion gears, pinion shaft, and out put shafts/flanges are all from the 2002 diff. Basically all I did in the end was take out the 2002 diff pumpkin, then swapped the ring gear from it onto the e30 LSD unit, and installed the LSD unit into the 2002 diff case. The bearing are the same exact size on both the 2002 and e30 diff so there are no problems there. Ones you swap the ring gears out everything in the case fits together perfectly. I also found that the e30 LSD unit does not protrude from the case any further then the 2002 unit did so there is no need at all for a spacer between the case and the cover.

As soon as I order my seals and bearings from Blunt, and finish final assembly I will do a complete write up with pictures and post it up.

What is neccessary to swap just the E30 R&P into the 2002 diff? Ie, I want to put in a E30 318is 4.10 R&P into the 2002 case.

-Scott

Duct Tape Motorsports - Sponsored by www.BMW2002.com

facebook.com/DuctTapeMotorsports - Like us on Facebook!

MyTrackSchedule.com - Your key to more track events!

1974 BMW 2002tii M42 swap 24 Hours of LeMons/Chumpcar, 1991 BMW 318is 24 Hours of LeMons/ChumpCar

You will need to start with a small case 4.10. Dont quote me on this, but the ring and pinion should just bolt in in place of the original 2002 pieces. I have never done that my self so I can not give you hard fact. How ever if the 2002 ring fits on the e30 LSD pumpkin, then revers logic tells me it works the other way around as well. I just dont know about the pinion gear... You will have to do what I did. Just throw one together and see what fits.

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Oooh I have been waiting for this to show up for a while!

photo-250.jpg

And I saw this tii touring over heating at a Shell station on Lombard here in SF. Guy didnt want any help even though I had a trunk full of tools. I bet he just had to give his stuck thermostat a good knock with a plastic screw driver. He was driving his bosses car :nice:

photo-2344.jpg

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg