• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Adjust the window regulator?

gtbarker1

The passenger window on my 1973 2002a does not roll up all the way. I can pull the window up the correct height, but it slides down eventually.

I spent the better part of saturday messing around with it and cannot figure out what the secret is.

Has anyone had this same issue? Any info or links to previous threads on this would be greatly appreciated (I did a search but couldn't find anything).

Thank you.

73 Inka 2002a

Does it roll up evenly?

If so, at the top of the door are stops which adjust the height where the window stops front and back.

Does it lean into the front rail on roll up?

Does it drop towards the back rolling down?

If so, adjust rear rail towards the front of the door, until window rolls up evenly. A quick guide to get close, with window up loosen top and bottom bolts on rear guide rail so it can move with a little pressure. Roll window down, move lower part of guide rail toward window, tighten lower bolts. roll up window and move rail guide toward window, tighten upper bolts. roll window up and down adjusting rail forward or back until action is smooth and even.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Observe the regulator's movement as you begin to crank the window up from the lowered position: if you can move the handle (more than a quarter turn) before the glass begins to move, then the regulator mechanism itself is worn.

There's a pot metal pin in the center of the concentric spring that wears and eventually breaks; then the regulator won't work at all. If this pin is badly worn, you'll get a lot of free motion from the crank before the window moves, and it won't go all the way up as a result.

You can either then replace the regulator or repair it. If you choose the latter, I did a column on regulator repair; lemme know if you'd like a copy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite