• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In need of some 2002 life advice!

sebandwhit

I have a 68 2002(rust free, with proffessional body work done) and a 69 1600(parts car) and a TON of parts that im trying to decide what to do with. Keep them or sell them. My wife and I are having our 3rd child and time is very limited for any project. The money is not a huge factor but I could use it elsewhere with the new baby. So... im considering three options and could use some advice.

Opt#1 Sell both as parts cars... one with papers the other has been garaged for 22 years(Great body but stripped).

Opt#2 make one running car with the parts I have and have spares for the running car and sell it

Opt#3 Keep them and make one nice car.(But take the next 2 years to finish it due to minimal budget and time).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Ive attached a few pictures of the 68 since I had them at the office. I might just need some motivation.

post-2485-13667636043128_thumb.jpg

post-2485-1366763604552_thumb.jpg

post-2485-13667636048123_thumb.jpg

68' 2002 (Project)

Gotta figure what's important to you. Having something that can at least move under it's own power helps to justify keeping it.

You already nailed it that time will be a premium. Perhaps take inventory, use what is needed to get one car going, sell off the rest to get it finished up (or presentable and reliable).

Early cars are cool, but are not always an 'investment' like a tii/turbo/touring would be. Fully documented from new will help increase the value a bit, but originality is king. Once you start repainting, replacing, etc... the collector value could drop. If there is a sentimental connection, then any decisions would be biased.

If you sell off everything, you will invariably find your self looking at 02's and then scanning craigslist, and then several years later buying another 02 that is many steps and dollars behind where you are already at.

My vote is to keep the one with the absolute best body and get it running as soon as you can.

Remember, it's much cooler to arrive at soccer/little league games in an 02.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Guest Anonymous

Been there done that. When my wife was pregnant with our first I felt compelled to sell my 73tii (ALPINA A4 clone) becuase it wouldn't be safe or easy to transport junior around. In walks a low mileage MBZ 190 16v. A company car later then a nother job change and its back to a 74tii for seven years. In comes the ALPINA Grp. 2 car out goes the 74 tii (wife says one restoration is enough at one time) in comes a smoke silver 87 190 16v (yes again, I love these cars)...... My worthless 02 cents, if you have the space and place (as in garage) and you do not need the $$$ make one that runs and chip away at it. Not sure how old your kids are but what I can tell you with a 15yr old and 18 yr old is that the cost of them goes up exponentially with age (its brutal)...now I am staring collged down for the older one....lets see now rebuild the ALPINA/Schnitzer engine or pay for a semester of school?????. Good luck with your project and new baby.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/

A couple of other qualifiers. How much space do you have? What other cars? Will selling the 02s get a second (or first) practical family car? If you have the space and already have 2 cars capable of moving two kids, keep them (roundies are getting rare). If you have another car (but only one) I'd probably make one running 02 and sell the rest. An 02 can definately move 2 kids around, could probably move 3 in a pinch. It wouldn't be the "family car" but don't discount just how much room it has for a small car. If you don't have anything else, sell the 02s and get something that will move 3 kids and start every morning *shudder*

My $.02 anyway. I've only got one kid and none of my 02s run right now, so I'm hardly the expert.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

You already know the answer???? Dont you......But I have only been married for 20 years..... She wont forgive you if you put cars first.... Its easy enough to come back in 5 years????? Now if you have a ton of money store them till its safe.....

Put the kids up for adoption.... they can bring a pretty penny on the black market... and that will finance your projects. you can always have more kids and even find another wife, But the early 02's are getting hard to find and rust free??? is there even a question here?????

LOL!!!!!

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

Sell everything and use the $ and buy a running 02 to enjoy now. I'm not one to have projects laying around.

I second that. There is no better day than today.

They are not any fun, if they don't run........ditto

IMG_7619_BMW_1802_touring%20copy.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

You are in Turlock correct? I met your parents at my garage sale and they saw my car and told me that you were into them also. They gave me your number but I've never got around to calling. Maybe I could come down and lend a hand to help get one/both running. Let me know. I'm in oakdale.

1972 '02 work in progress

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think I will go through all my parts and keep what I need to build a runner. Im sure I will regret it if I sold them after collecting all of these parts and the time I have spent on to get where I am now in the build of the 68. So out with the spares! Thanks again... Its why I joined this forum!

Igottacoolcarnow, I was wondering if you were on this forum. My father said you had one or two. If I get a weekend free sometime I will definately take you up on that offer. I will email you.

My truck(daily driver) was just totalled and I just recently bout a daily driver that will fit the family.

Christmas%202010%20001.JPG

68' 2002 (Project)

It's best to pick one and use the parts you have and sell off the rest to fund additional parts you need. You probably wouldn't get much for just the parts cars here in California, and projects are harder to sell than a running/complete car.

BTW, that is a really nice wagon!