• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 engine into 320is

bimmer7602

I know some people here have put 320 engines into 02 so i'm assuming you can do it the other way around too right? I did do a search and what i've gathered is that the oil pan is different. Is there anything else i missed/ need to know? I just bought a beater 320 that has a crap engine and i was gonna just drop the 02 engine in there hook up all the injection stuff and hope the car starts.

TIA and Merry Christmas

Sean

I believe the oil pump pickup is different too. What say you, Mike Self or CD?

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

same.

You'll also need a lower pressure fuel pump if your 2002 motor is carbureted. It'll have to be electric as there's no providion on a 320 head for a mechanical pump. The 320 pump is high pressure for EFI.

And the 320 cam turns backwards from the 2002, but that's no big deal so long as you use the 320 dizzy.

There may be other differences too, but the above is what comes to mind after several glasses of egg nog!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If it wasnt already said you need a 320i pulley I believe, I know that a 320i crank pulley is longer.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

re: the cam gears reversed compared to the '02 cam, I think the year of the 320 varies on that? Or does that just apply to the E30? My 1977 320 cam gear is the same direction as the 02. I bought a reman 320 dizzy which I used for 2 years, and just replaced this summer w/ a mechanical 02 dizzy, both used on the block & head from a 77 320. Also, I'm not sure the oil pan is any diff aside from the drain bolt (smaller). I replaced the pan on my 320 motor w/ an '02 pan as well.

So what year is your 320?

77 block & head as rcv'd:

320i 77 motor 30k on rebuild - As Rcv'd

Same motor after some work. (And ya, the crank pulley is longer than the 02 pulley, I found that out after the motor was in.)

Dropping Motor in

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

If you plan to keep the 320i fuel injection you will need to swap the cylinder head from your 1.8 320i engine into the 2002 engine, since the fuel injectors press into the head on the 1.8 engine and the distributor drive gear is reversed.

Also the 320i fuel injection will need some modifications since it is designed for a 1.8 engine, with the 2.0 liter engine from a 2002 the stock 320i fuel injection system will run a lean fuel mixture.

This conversion works well on a early 77-79 320i but on a 1980 and newer 320i this conversion requires a lot of details to be looked at.

If you plan to keep the 320i fuel injection you will need to swap the cylinder head from your 1.8 320i engine into the 2002 engine, since the fuel injectors press into the head on the 1.8 engine and the distributor drive gear is reversed.

Also the 320i fuel injection will need some modifications since it is designed for a 1.8 engine, with the 2.0 liter engine from a 2002 the stock 320i fuel injection system will run a lean fuel mixture.

This conversion works well on a early 77-79 320i but on a 1980 and newer 320i this conversion requires a lot of details to be looked at.

Jeff,

So what you're saying is that although possible, it's going to be a lot of work to try to keep the injection stuff. If i were to keep the carburetor on the 2002 engine, would it be possible without a lot of work? Basically what i'm looking for is something to putter around in for a year or so without sinking a lot of time or money into it.

Sean

Jeff-

Those sort of things out here are few and far between. Sean has a fresh rebuilt motor and he was going to use it for a 02 once he gets one. He couldn't pass on this deal so he snatched it up. Like he said he just wants a nice island cruiser that gets better gas mileage then his gas guzzling 3.0. Talking with him, he might just go the carb route but still weighing all the options. I believe from the VW world there is a difference between the FI and the carb gas tanks. I'm guessing just plug the return line and call it good to go. And we need to keep it simple since I am helping him. :)

I look forward to helping him and getting it be a nice cruiser/auto-x'er.

1974tii #2780713

1987 325ic

2010 Audi A3 TDI

I guess my last post didnt come off best. What I was wondering was what would need to be done to run carbs on the FI engine? It seems that might be the easier route for us to take. Are there even difference with the tnaks, or did they even offer the 320 in a carb'ed version? TIA and sorry for sounded like a d!ck---totally not the case.

Mark

1974tii #2780713

1987 325ic

2010 Audi A3 TDI