• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1800 NK restoration prject

rey949

My mistake, I was under the impression that you didn't have any and was gonna get some from bob Northrop. Speaking of which, who has a link to his pictures of the lenses that he produces? Sorry to have gone off on a tangent. Your rear lights look great! Are your front side markers still in good standing as well? Mine are totally faded white with an amber top portion...kinda weird but it's what it is and I plan on getting some from Bob.

Ken

Ken,

Sorry ...YES! I do need some new side markers. I got confused with the side reflectors that are on 2002s. Do you or can you post a link to his site so i can contact him about some of those side markers?

Thanks for contributing to my project blog!!

Rey

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

AL,

Thanks for the link! Oh yeah, I am going to put in your seat belts, but I need shoulder belts for the rear as well. Do you need more pictures of the car? Do you provide the instructions for the mounting points?

I just drove my other car with the old frayed seat belts. i did not have the time to get them out and ship them! Do you sell belts without getting the old belts? All i Have is an incomplete set of lap belts.

Ray, let's talk through email so we can discuss the details. I don't need your belts, I have the parts. I also have a design in mind for a 3-point shoulder belts for the rear which requires only minimal surgery (no welding), have special BMW retractors that can be mounted (hanged) under the parcel tray.

Ken,

Sorry ...YES! I do need some new side markers. I got confused with the side reflectors that are on 2002s. Do you or can you post a link to his site so i can contact him about some of those side markers?

Thanks for contributing to my project blog!!

Rey

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,346528/

Here is the link....

INterior .....Let's see. I was able to pick up an EARY 1800 car. 1964. It has no interior and it was chamonix and does have a Confirmation from BMW Mobile tradition on when it was built and the color Chamonix. So for my early car I am going to use my Braun interior.

So after much consideration I decided I really like the idea of making my later 1800 a real sport sedan with some more Modern (70's) look.

I will be putting in some cool 70's Scheel 400 Sport Seats in the front and having my upholsterer work up a set of e24 seats to match the front in style and look for the rear. This way I will have three point seat belts in the front and the rear as well as headrests in front.

AL here on the faq will make up some seat blts that will work with the setup....going with Black leather interior....The front Scheel seats were available in the 70's so it would be feasable that someone could have done this in the day. As for the rear...well, if you had those front seats you could have had someone make seats for the back to match... I want to build something that I can cruise around in and have my kid in the back if necessary and not worry about having only lap belts....a little over the top maybe??! This will be something diffferent.

post-17883-13667641631775_thumb.jpg

post-17883-13667641632536_thumb.jpg

Color...Did you say Color?? Well, I also decided on this build I am going with Schwarz exterior Color with Schwartz Interior.

It may get too hot in there so I will have to figure out how to add A/C if possible!

More to follow....

• 1 month later...
What are your plans for the dash? Were you able to get the plastic wood veneer off in one piece, or do you plan on using a different material?

Mike,

I was going thourhg the Blog and saw I forgot to answer your question on the dash. My preference was to find a way to replicate the Tisa style or reference the "Older" dash. I just like how they look with the gauges integrated into the dash and not in a gauge pod on top of the dash. unfortunately; I willnot be able to do that. I sourced a really nice later dash with no cracks and really in pristine condition. Not concourse, but really nice. I will be going with the later dash.

I have a few things planned for this build that are unique so we will see what happens with the interior.

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a little while since I posted. We have been patiently waiting for the body and paint, as well as continuing the plan we have developed for the build. Some folks say to finish the car , then post the entire build at the end. I have allot of questions, so i think its helpful to have the community post some thoughgts that are helpful as we go along. I think it makes more sense for me since this is my first restoration on an Neue Klasse.

Rey

Pics of the Body and paint...New front valance... After looking for a new front clip for three months with no succes these I was talking to a friend fo mine and he happened to have one! Crazy

I also had them replace the rear clip as well so we have something really straight since we are going with the Schwarz 086 color.

Before and After pics...

post-18159-1366764525018_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667645251309_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667645252317_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667645253288_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667645254317_thumb.jpg

As far as the engine is concerned, I really liked that A4 engined car so I was lucky enough to find a complete Alpina A4 injection setup complete with fuel distributor.

Not too sure how the header will work on a street car. Still considering going with a more street Alpina setup...Pics attached

post-18159-13667645255438_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667645256505_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667645257601_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667645258636_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667645259638_thumb.jpg

While working on the mechanicals and the body we cannot forget about some of the safety features. Obviously we do not have airbags, but a good set of seat belts front and rear for a four door sedan would be the next best thing. We are going with three point seat belts setup front and rear, just in case we have three on a little trip somewhere....amazingly enough the car has a mounting point for something in the rear parcel shelf....in dismantling the car; I really cannot remember what was mounted on the parcel shelf..interesting. in any case we will install the seat belts as pictured.

Rey

post-18159-13667645260639_thumb.jpg