• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving light brackets

zambo

Does anyone know if the guy that was fabricating these some years back is still doing them or perhaps someone else is. He was at this website:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~pchamaa/2002_auxilliary_lamp_brackets.htm

Email has had no response as yet and given the site looks like it hasn't been updated for some years, perhaps he's moved on ...

Any help on sourcing these brackets would be appreciated.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Tom

I have been travelling OS constantly since late 2008, but Melbourne keeps missing out on a visit - though I intend to do something about that soon.

Otherwise all is going great. Shaun keeps me up-to-date on how you and the other Victorian '02 enthusiasts are going.

Did the alternator upgrade on the son's 02 and it went very well - he even joined in. Now he can run the sub and all the other audio/ancillary stuff he wants. It was following this that I started thinking about the driving light upgrade - hence the thread.

All the best mate

Richard

The brackets are getting "upgraded," "upgraded, "improved."

Brackets 2.0 will be made out of steel, be wider and stiffer. The aluminum brackets while adequate for many have too much flex on stiffly suspended 2002. Bigger lamps exacerbate the problem.

The aluminum brackets are fine on a stock car with stock suspension, stock motor and rubber motor mounts with a typical 6 inch lamp. (Like the Hella 500)

Watch for an update when the new brackets become available.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Let us know how this goes, as I want a set of these also.

if you use these brackets you will need to stabilize the top of the light as well to keep the fog/spot lights from vibrating while you drive down the road.

hella makes a threaded standoff specifically for this.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

if you use these brackets you will need to stabilize the top of the light as well to keep the fog/spot lights from vibrating while you drive down the road.

Can you explain this a little more - what is a threaded stand off? (pics?). Does this stand off apply to all Hella lights

Also, does this eliminate the vibration?

I got some from Pierre a couple of months ago. They work great! Remember that you'll have to remove a horizontal slat from the each side of the grill if you're a '74'-'76 kinda person.

I have a late '72 (a Euro spec being in Oz), so should be fine - I think ....

The brackets will fit a 72 with no issues. The 72s already have the holes on the hood support for the lamp brackets.

The Hella stabilizing brackets George is talking about mount on the top back of the lamp to any convenient location on the nose. Some drilling may be required.

My goal is to make a bracket strong and stiff enough so that not to require additional bracing, even on those stiffly suspended vehicles. I have even seen a wildly cammed 2002 with a lumpy idle and urethane motor mount cause the lamp to vibrate while the car sat and idled.

Here is a link to the brackets sold at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/116741801-Auxiliary-2-Point-Mounting-Brackets/dp/B000CO9EII

418J630Q2KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Can you explain this a little more - what is a threaded stand off? (pics?). Does this stand off apply to all Hella lights

Also, does this eliminate the vibration?

follow this link

http://www.alfacybersite.com/ACSCibCt.html

scroll down, they are called anti vibration stay bars

it took some perseverance to get ahold of the site owner

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

• 2 weeks later...