• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to find "hot-all-the-time" wire on '76 ign.

Lilleyvanilli

Trying to troubleshoot an ignition problem and have the wiring diagr., but still a bit 'iffy' (trying to bypass ign. switch/start car to test). I have seven leads on switch, but only 6 are being used:

1. Green (double wire)

2. Green (double wire)

3. Violet (Single)

4. Black/white (single)

5. Red (single)

6. Red (single)

7. Grey (on schematic, but I don't see a grey wire on my car)

The greens and violets, as far as I can tell, go to various high beam, low beam, turn signal, heater blower, horn, etc.

The black/white goes straight to starter.

This leaves the 2 reds: both go to something called "Solider Tag 30" (#19 on key) and has (according to schematic) 7 red wires coming in/out. Where is this thing on the car?

ONE of the reds traces from this "Solider Tag 30" back to #2 fuse (controls hazard flashers, interior light, clock). Sounds like this is the one, eh?

THE OTHER red looks like it goes to + battery or alternator.

BUT... where is my coil wire? I do see one green(#44) that does not directly go to the ign. switch, but does look like it meets with one at a plug connector (if this is it, I've got 4 greens to choose from).

AND THE BIG QUESTION: If I want to bypass my ign. switch to start car for a test, which color wires do I bridge (and if one is red, which of the two reds?)

Red= Battery +

Violet= key on accessory and run

Green= key on run

Black or black/white= Starter excite

To remote start or bypass the the ign. switch to start from INSIDE the car jump the black/white to either of the Reds... BUT I usually bypass the ign. by going to the black/white wire at pin #7 of the little orange capped diagnostic connector by the fuse box in the engine bay, and jump that to #1 red battery+.

BE SURE THE TRANS IS IN NEUTRAL FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Simple enough.... :)

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I read somewhere on the forum that you could go to that little orange diagnostic plug and take a piece of wire from slot #1 to #7 and the car would start.

The 3,4 and 5 slots have no wires. Is it possible you mean #7, not #9? (not sure which is right side up, as 1,2,3 could be 3,2,1, or 7,8,9 might be 9,8,7.)

I read somewhere on the forum that you could go to that little orange diagnostic plug and take a piece of wire from slot #1 to #7 and the car would start.

The 3,4 and 5 slots have no wires. Is it possible you mean #7, not #9? (not sure which is right side up, as 1,2,3 could be 3,2,1, or 7,8,9 might be 9,8,7.)

Ah, memory fails me, it IS #7 (black/white) that is starter excite, And YES #1 is red........ edited original post.

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i

HA!

I finally get to use the little orange plug!! I LOVE our cars! multiple starting systems...intermittant wipers... a key that can be removed and lets you car run... headlights that automatically turn off when you remove the key so you don't get a dead battery... impossible to lock the keys inside... Where is all our new technology taking us? To the mechanic, with a quick stop by the bank?

Yes, the numbering is a bit vague on the plug itself, but just bridge the black/white wire with the red and she starts right up!

I also did this at the switch with the two wires and she starts right up.

I also used a large flat blade screw driver to turn the switch (instead of the key) and she starts right up.

I also put it all back together and used the key and she starts right up. This "I'll start when I want to" issue is truly my nemesis. Going out to see how she 'feels today'....

Here is the best diagram of the orange diagnostic plug I have found...

http://2002tii.org/kb/628

Diagnostic_Plug1.jpg

Tom Jones