• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone ever try the ebay universal racing seats in your 02?

aaronr

Id sooner buy some used known quality seats .. seat backs are important in a crash and I just dont know about those. They may be fine but id feel better with something I know is made well

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Have you shopped Corbeau? Not sure what your budget is, but Corbeau essentially makes copies of seats. Their sport seat runs about $320 each. Not cheap at all, but it's a new piece. Plus you can get the color you want.

Do I have them? No. But my company insures them, and recently learned that their product is pretty well-made.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

I figured as much (and have been not paying attention to them) but figured I'd ask just to make sure.

Id sooner buy some used known quality seats .. seat backs are important in a crash and I just dont know about those. They may be fine but id feel better with something I know is made well

1972 2002

I figured as much (and have been not paying attention to them) but figured I'd ask just to make sure.

just something to think about. I have not seen these seats nor do I know anything about them.. I dont want to turn you off to them totally. Maybe someone else has them that can vouch for them

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I already have one good Recaro so I'll might just end up getting a matching one. I do feel like its just a bit to supportive for me though. This is a street car not a racer so that's my last resort option.

I did look at Corbeau, but they don't make the sport seat I like in tan/brown or saddle. Too bad, the price there is great.

All things being equal, I really want a good set of stock 02 seats but have only found one good pair on the FAQ in a brown color (but am just a little too reluctant on the cost). I could easily go black and stay stock, but I would need both front and rear seats and have not found that either.

1972 2002

My car came with some universal racing seats in it. They are the worst thing ever. They flop around. The back support hits you in the wrong spot so in a crash a person would be seriously hurt from lack of proper support. Anybody that doesn't know anything thinks its a race car and anyone who does know anything thinks I'm a D-Bag for running the cheesy racing seats, so either way I have to constantly explain that I didn't put them in and I'm recovering some factory seats.

My advise would be, if you want a race seat, them get a race seat, if not, find some good factory style. A cheap "racing" seat will only get you hurt, and possibly laughed at.

1969 2002

just something to think about. I have not seen these seats nor do I know anything about them.. I dont want to turn you off to them totally. Maybe someone else has them that can vouch for them

A set came in my car. They were the cheapest, most dangerous seats I've ever seen. I leaned back in them once to get a paper out of my back pocket and BENT the back of the seat... Not exactly what I want holding me if I were in a wreck. There are plenty of affordable, safe seats out there. Generally the cheaper they are, the less comfortable they will be, but not always. A good friend has had several different corbeau seats, and while they are great for an autox or just a fun sunday drive, they are unbearably uncomfortable for anything more than about 20 minutes of a commute.

The best thing you can do is find a retailer near you, or find a track day/autox and ask to sit in people's seats and see what fits you.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

I know this may be a bit more $, but check out the seats on this site:

www.classiccarseats.com

The owner, Stephan, is a really cool guy and makes some beautiful seats with houndstooth inserts that would look great in any 2002 or Porsche...

He even has access to vintage Porsche and VW plaids and patterns... very cool! Here's a link to his gallery page...

http://www.classiccarseats.com/gallery.php

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

I picked up a set of lightly used corbeau sports for the price fo those universal pieces of crap. I havent got them in the car yet but have sat in them on the bench and they feal great. One of those seats you can sit in all day on a long trip and will also hold you in place for some spirited driving. They are similar to an E30 sport seat just not such a butt pincher(my wifes main complaint).

I cannot say enough about the E21 Recaros. My stock '02 (restuffed with urethane foam and no horsehair) seats are very uncomfortable.

Since installing (1) used Recaro with Dave Varco's new webbing, my long trips to AR and NC have been very comfortable. The trip to AR this spring had us in the car for about 7-8 hours every day.

I put the stock driver's seat back in for the trip to Pittsburgh last year and it killed my back and legs.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the even cheaper universal racing seats on ebay. Paid $239/pair with not a single sheet of instructions. It took a while to figure out which way the tracks bolted to the seat. Ended up having to grind holes a little farther down to use the side with the forward/backward adjustment bar pulling up. Also had to install metal plates because they aren't wide enough for '02 mounts. I'd recommend them if you have a little more fabrication knowledge and patience

Heres the finished product minus the electric blue paint on the plates, those ended up black:

1073072.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1073073.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a pair similar to those pictured above that came from summit. I got them for free from a friend that could not use them in his 69 camaro project because of how they fit with the roll cage (its an honest track only 9sec drag car). They would look more at home in the camaro or maybe a honda. I ended up fabing the mounts, which was not a problem because I mounted them lower and further back than the stock seats due to my height. They are comfortable, sturdy and a whole lot better than the worn out original seats. If I were going to spend more than time installing another set of seats, I would look for recaros or something else period correctish. That being said I'm not taking them out anytime soon.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.