• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on Ireland Engineering (IE) rear disc kit (with Ebrake)

joh99033

Greetings. I recently purchased IEs rear disc kid and am in the process of installing them now. I have run into a few challenges with the install and wanted to see if anyone could lend their expertise.

1. With the new disk on , there is a bit of wiggle room over the new machined hub from IE. How can I make sure the disc is centered?

2. With the new brake pads inserted in the caliper, I seam to be struggling to seat the caliper over the disc. Are there any tricks for getting it on?

3. I have read quite a bit relating to the difficulty with the parking brake and bleeding. Does this kit remedy this issue or will I need to unbolt the caliper every time I need to bleed? What are your suggestions for overcoming this challenge?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.

• Administrators

1. Tighten the lug nuts on the disk and that should center.

2. You can try to shave the pads to fit them if there i not enough room. Do you know how think the pads are? BTW, you are supposed to seat the pads in the carrier first and then slide the caliper over it.

3. not sure about the parking brake. From what i've heard, the new calipers no longer need to be unbolted to be bled. IE move the bleeder to the top of the caliper.

I assembled my own parts for the kit since i wanted an aluminum caliper, but i am using an IE bracket. Everything seems to line up well. The car is still in the air since it needs to be bled.

steve k.

4875132246_4a15b55e4a.jpg

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Steve, what parts did you use to get the aluminum caliper setup ? Do you have any idea how much more rear brake you'll have versus the drum setup ? Gezon@aol.com

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

• Administrators

the caliper is from the MK IV Jetta/Golf, you also need a special brake line for those since they have banjo fittings. Everything else is the same as the IE kit.

Not sure at the moment on how different the proportioning will be. But i was already running 22mm wheel cylinders in the rear. I am also changing fronts, so i will not have a good balance comparison. I do have a proportioning valve, and i do change settings when i do not like them.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Steve, what parts did you use to get the aluminum caliper setup ? Do you have any idea how much more rear brake you'll have versus the drum setup ? Gezon@aol.com

I am doing a BB upgrade on front and adding discs on the rear. I am not sure how much better the discs are over drums but I am tired of adjusting the drums.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Did you exercise the parking brake before you put it together? If so, your gonna need one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Disc-Brake-Caliper-Wind-Back/dp/B001UFTS66

Every time you move the parking brake you "reset" the brake adjustment. And you need the tool to push the piston back in. You can't do it with big channel locks or vice grips or a c clamp.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades