• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Started in on the hydraulics…Jim pulled the Volvo calipers

DSCN2634_zps30a1e782.jpg

Pulled the tii master cyl. Gotta love ATE consistency. Decades of design later, the plunger, bolt spacing diameters are identical tii vs. 750.

DSCN2636_zpsbaaf928c.jpg

750 installed on the booster. Still need to make up two short lines to connect existing line ends to master. Using stock bmw “T” fitting from the rear brake circuit to joint fronts together into single master outlet.

DSCN2644_zps843f4a54.jpg

Struts and brakes bolted on

DSCN2639_zps98d52c26.jpg

DSCN2642_zpsa7b54e56.jpg

DSCN2647_zps3c07933d.jpg

Finished removing rear brakes and set the caliper bracket in place. Caliper should be arriving tomorrow.

DSCN2650_zps4bd7e5ed.jpg

Accumulating a pile of brake parts to be sold…soon.

DSCN2649_zpse042c0b8.jpg

2xM3

Marshall;

Unrelated question: what is the black coating inside the wheel wells, I am about to start suspension rehab on the 73, might do that to clean up things a little and to prevent rust.

TIA

3M rubberized undercoating.

what it looked like when i did it 3 years ago

DSCN3389.jpg

more pics of the stuff here:

http://s397.beta.photobucket.com/user/mblytle/library/76%20nc/suspension

2xM3

Does the spacer under the strut improve wheel to ball joint clearance?

makes wheel to ball joint clearance worse. bottom of strut stays in same place while spacer lowers ball joint by 26mm. probably could not use on <15in wheels.

it is a bump steer spacer..compensates for bad control arm angle due to lowering the car. it is also offset for more camber.

2xM3

makes wheel to ball joint clearance worse. bottom of strut stays in same place while spacer lowers ball joint by 26mm. probably could not use on <15in wheels.

it is a bump steer spacer..compensates for bad control arm angle due to lowering the car. it is also offset for more camber.

Wouldn't it push the wheel away from the ball joint (the one on the tie rod).

if you are referring to the main ball joint, the offset pushes the wheel away laterally, but the height of the spacer pushes the ball joint down, decreasing the clearance to the wheel.

if you are referring to the joint at the end of the tie rod, the yes, the offset pushes the wheel away from it. 16mm.

2xM3

if you are referring to the main ball joint, the offset pushes the wheel away laterally, but the height of the spacer pushes the ball joint down, decreasing the clearance to the wheel.

if you are referring to the joint at the end of the tie rod, the yes, the offset pushes the wheel away from it. 16mm.

I see, that makes sense. Did Lee make these?

Colin - yes, Lee made the spacers. he make three different sizes. the 26mm one i have is the only one with the 16mm offset for camber.

Dylan - IE made the bracket. a willwood caliper with 1.62in piston and parking brake will be attached.

2xM3

we had some fun with...as andrew called it...the origami of brake lines at the MC tonight. made up two very short ones. used a male to male connector to extent the rear line in the car to the MC, then bent the in car lines to meet the "T" fitting and bent the other short line to join the "T" to the MC.

DSCN2659_zpscd8801d5.jpg

as soon as the new connector elbows arrive, the reservoir can be put back on and the front half of the brake system will be done.

another blunt box arrived today with various diff rebuild parts and two of these

DSCN2664_zps4a47e0e4.jpg

new tii rear hubs. a bit thicker/stronger than 02 hubs. wonder how long they were sitting on a warehouse shelf in germany....

of course, i forgot to order studs for them...sigh.

2xM3

Wow Marshall, you have completely confirmed my suspicion that the most expensive words in the English language are "You know, while we've got it apart..." :)

I am scheduled to drive the N2 home tomorrow, which leaves me with two questions:

1 - Do you know anyone who would want to buy your old malaga roundie shell with a tweaked, lo-mile M10, 4-speed, and lo-mile rear in it? I think I'm about to lose my free storage...

2 - Are you going to be around tomorrow morning-early afternoon? I would love to get an instructor's impression of how mine drives, especially given your experience in hotted-up 2002s...

Have a great evening,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody