• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Got the rear brake shoes in with a little “adjusting” of the pad material with 80 grit..

DSCN5696.jpg

See how much more material there is on the R4 vs the R4s…

DSCN5702.jpg

Then got to the front. After seeing the hub failure last weekend at the race on a 2002, I decided to check the wheel bearings and repack the grease in them. It has been 3500 miles and a few track days since I built the car.

Glad I checked. Grease, which was red when new, was black and thin.

DSCN5709.jpg

DSCN5705.jpg

Cleaned up

DSCN5706.jpg

DSCN5707.jpg

Repacked with valvolene synthetic grease and reassembled and adjusted.

New PF01 pads were max thickness, so I had to “adjust” the position of the Volvo calipers with a thicker washer to center the caliper on the rotor better. There was a 0.75mm washer in there, I used a 1.5mm washer. Perfect.

With camber/castor set and wheels back on, set about a minor annoyance. The dang right side rocker moulding that fell off at the last track day. After failing to get it on for 30min, I ripped the silly rubber gasket strip off the back one third of the trim piece. It then snapped right on tight. Grrrrrr.

DSCN5711.jpg

May swap tranny mounts one night this week, then recheck alignment (toe) setting. I lowered the car 1/8in front and rear.

2xM3

That car's shaping up right well.

When you convert it to a roundlight it'll be perfect!

;-)

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I hear 2.7 is the flavor of the day.

;-)

Ray

That car's shaping up right well.

When you convert it to a roundlight it'll be perfect!

;-)

Ray

no comment about a 2.5?

who are you? what have you done with the real Ray?

:-)

Ray

We can always count on this thread turning into an arms race, and eventually to mutually assured financial destruction.

If you're gonna go to 2.7, you might as well go with forced induction.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

But he's already in the Coast Guard.

What? Oh.

;-)

We can always count on this thread turning into an arms race, and eventually to mutually assured financial destruction.

If you're gonna go to 2.7, you might as well go with forced induction.

Ray

Spent the weekend at the Summit Point Main track instructing. Big weekend for BMW’s. 40 cars for the Club Race, 70 students and 35 instructors. Wx was beautiful, just a bit warm.

2012-07-28_15-07-40_610.jpg

2012-07-28_15-06-05_966.jpg

2012-07-28_15-06-28_179.jpg

2012-07-28_15-33-40_480.jpg

No other 2002’s. just Bob Balls “2002” race car. it is an E30 shell with a 2002 exterior, s14, slicks, etc.

M2 ran great up until last session. The fuel filter (metal case) punctured on its mount. Lost lots of gas, almost ran out driving to paddock spot and then saw big gas puddle under car. pushed car into trailer..will fix later!

Lost a front hub dust cap…wheel bearing grease makes a big mess!

2012-07-29_09-47-02_851.jpg

New list of things to “fix”. Car is too much fun, but needs some refinement for track use.

Roll bar, race seats and harnesses. Safety and need to be strapped down in this thing!

Better brakes. Adjusting the rear drums every session is getting old. Time for real disks on all four corners.

Suspension. Still too soft. Turn in and midcorner work not as precise as I want.

Tires….going try 205’.

And I need a 4.45 diff. the 4.10 is not enough pull….

Power was good. Could pull E30 M3’s out of corners and on the straights. Lap times coming down, but there is more to be had..

Video is processing now of one session. Will post link soon.

2xM3

2.7 will give you more grunt which will give you more pull ;-)

Sounds like a nice weekend!

Cheers,

Ray

Spent the weekend at the Summit Point Main track instructing. Big weekend for BMW’s. 40 cars for the Club Race, 70 students and 35 instructors. Wx was beautiful, just a bit warm.

2012-07-28_15-07-40_610.jpg

2012-07-28_15-06-05_966.jpg

2012-07-28_15-06-28_179.jpg

2012-07-28_15-33-40_480.jpg

No other 2002’s. just Bob Balls “2002” race car. it is an E30 shell with a 2002 exterior, s14, slicks, etc.

M2 ran great up until last session. The fuel filter (metal case) punctured on its mount. Lost lots of gas, almost ran out driving to paddock spot and then saw big gas puddle under car. pushed car into trailer..will fix later!

Lost a front hub dust cap…wheel bearing grease makes a big mess!

2012-07-29_09-47-02_851.jpg

New list of things to “fix”. Car is too much fun, but needs some refinement for track use.

Roll bar, race seats and harnesses. Safety and need to be strapped down in this thing!

Better brakes. Adjusting the rear drums every session is getting old. Time for real disks on all four corners.

Suspension. Still too soft. Turn in and midcorner work not as precise as I want.

Tires….going try 205’.

And I need a 4.45 diff. the 4.10 is not enough pull….

Power was good. Could pull E30 M3’s out of corners and on the straights. Lap times coming down, but there is more to be had..

Video is processing now of one session. Will post link soon.

Ray

or i could just take a few hundred pounds out of the car (like bumpers), but the steady stream of people coming by the paddock spot to check out the car was funny. everyone was trying to figure out how the stock looking 40 year old car was going so fast. if i stripped it, the stealth factor would be gone....:-)

2xM3

Stealth cf hood and deck lid would help a bit ;-)

... I'm sure the driver had nuthin' to do with the car going fast. :-p

Ray

or i could just take a few hundred pounds out of the car (like bumpers), but the steady stream of people coming by the paddock spot to check out the car was funny. everyone was trying to figure out how the stock looking 40 year old car was going so fast. if i stripped it, the stealth factor would be gone....:-)

Ray

Nice video! Car sounded like it was running great. I thought that Corvette gave in pretty quick. Looks like your motor and driving skill got the best of him. Get those rear discs. That will definitely help. Just put them on the Inka car and love the difference in the feel and power. Its gotta make a huge difference on a track day.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Great video. Lose the passenger for some weight reduction or have a young lady co-pilot.

I spy an E36 M3 Lightweight among you.

Your AFR's were pretty steady around the track: 12.1 - 12.5.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

yes, pax was my 210lb student...could feel the difference (10% of wt of car!)

the e36 ltwt was a menace. driver did not understand the concept of point by's. he just took passes wherever and whenever he wanted. dangerous. many of us talked to him and i was very close to talking to the head instructor about kicking him out.

2xM3