• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

temp gague jumping around while driving

jdt10768

last week replaced cooling hoses and thermostat. hoses needed replacement, and t-stat, why not? so afterward my temp needle is jumping all over the place while driving (after getting warmed up). The needle settles and does not move at idle, and seems to read correctly. a bit high, but it's hot as hell outside right now. I cleaned off the brown ground/earth wires at the front/left of the car. what next?

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

make darn sure you don't have air pockets in the cooling system

Jack up the front of the car - WAY UP high in the nose

heater on full hot. remove the rad cap - top up when hot and idle speed

leave room - 2" down from the filler cap neck

if the needle is still dancing - you got instrument cluster

poor connection issues - tons of writeups on the subject

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Try a search.

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

More not helping from the resident lunatic.

I had this problem earlier and it was the connection between the wire and the connector at the temp sending unit. Make sure the connector it tightly gripping the spade on the sender and not loose at all.

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

then I would suspect (as previously noted) air pockets in your cooling systmem, or a sending unit with either a bad + connection or a poor ground. First clean the terminal on the sender that the wire plugs into. If that doesn't work you may need to lower the coolant level a bit, remove the sender unit and clean the threads--both in the water manifold and on the sender. Do not reinstall with Teflon tape or sealer; that's how it grounds. Also as pointed out, check the engine-to-battery & body to battery ground straps.

If this was a pre-existing condition, I would suspect a bad ground at the gauge itself--a common problem. Check archives for easy ways to cure.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

had the car on ramps last night and a huge storm blew in, so I have not completed the burping stage yet. And the correct top up level for coolant is 2 inches below the top of the rad neck? Anyone have a pic of the temp sending unit and its location? yes, i did a search first! also, the ground wire near the heater box: where exactly is that connection/ground point?

yes, I am new, so bear with me, ty

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

just fill it to the neck. when the engine heats up and the coolant expands, the excess will push out the overflow tube. would be a good idea to replace the overflow tube to a longer tube that extends below the shelf under the radiator so you don't have overflow collecting on the horizontal shelf

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

may have found the issue. I ran the "raise front / idle / burp" method, and saw a few small bubbles. no major Oktoberfest belches though. But I also found a fairly weak conn (male to female) on the temp sending unit, plus that wire has a bare spot - so I will replace that female connector and trim bad spot from the wire. Thanks for the great info

new guy

help appreciated!

cleaned contact point on temp sending unit, and clamped down on existing connector (was very loose). Drove to work this morning 15 miles and steady as a rock / temp gague at 3 o'clock or just above. Thanks!

new guy

help appreciated!