• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 32/36 vs 38/38...how's the gas mileage on a

Mike Self

I haven't written a post in a long time, but I feel like I must make a rebutal to some of the wild and/or exagerated mileage claims.

First of all, if filling the tank and gauging mileage from the time it is filled to when you actually run out of gas, you must know the capacity of your fuel tank. Most roundie cars have a 12 gallon tank including reserve while most square light cars have at least a 13 gallon tank including reserve.

I fiddled around a lot with the 32/36 and 38/38 carbs on various 02 engines and this is what I came up with.

The 38/38 is only amarginally better performing carb, but only at wide open throttle. Anywhere alse along the power curve it seems to produce less torque, espeially at low rpms. It's one of those all or nothing carbs with horrible mileage (about 15mpg no matter how gingerly you drive it)

The 32/36 offeres more driveability compared to the 38/38 and produces slightly less power at wide open throttle only. In my opinion, it is a much better carb for a street car. City driving yields about 17-19mpg n matter how you jet it. Highway driving yields slightly higher mileage, but only on a long trip at steady speeds.

The stock 32/32 DIDTA SOlex or the 40PDSI Solex will yield 21-22mpg city no matter how you drive your car. 23-24mpg is attainable on the highway, but with a 5 speed 25-26 mpg can also be achieved.

The stock carbs offer superior driveability and torque below 4000rpm.

In my opinion they are the best all around carbs for these cars equipped with stock or nearly stock engines.

Slavs

...and I DO check my mileage carefully, and Jenn's car often exceeds 32 mpg

on trips down the coast- 55- 65 mph, just a little bit of throttle.

And the 38/38 on my car was most noticable at throttle tip- in.

I'm not sure it was much faster flat- out, but damn, goose it just

a little and off it went in a hurry!

...but I'm a regular fabricator... both in the garage and on this forum!

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't written a post in a long time, but I feel like I must make a rebutal to some of the wild and/or exagerated mileage claims.

First of all, if filling the tank and gauging mileage from the time it is filled to when you actually run out of gas, you must know the capacity of your fuel tank. Most roundie cars have a 12 gallon tank including reserve while most square light cars have at least a 13 gallon tank including reserve.

I fiddled around a lot with the 32/36 and 38/38 carbs on various 02 engines and this is what I came up with.

The 38/38 is only amarginally better performing carb, but only at wide open throttle. Anywhere alse along the power curve it seems to produce less torque, espeially at low rpms. It's one of those all or nothing carbs with horrible mileage (about 15mpg no matter how gingerly you drive it)

The 32/36 offeres more driveability compared to the 38/38 and produces slightly less power at wide open throttle only. In my opinion, it is a much better carb for a street car. City driving yields about 17-19mpg n matter how you jet it. Highway driving yields slightly higher mileage, but only on a long trip at steady speeds.

The stock 32/32 DIDTA SOlex or the 40PDSI Solex will yield 21-22mpg city no matter how you drive your car. 23-24mpg is attainable on the highway, but with a 5 speed 25-26 mpg can also be achieved.

In my opinion they are the best all around carbs for these cars equipped with stock or nearly stock engines.

Slavs

Now I am completely confused. Based on what this guy has stated, my 15-17 mileage in city driving isn't absurdly low?

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

Slavs

I disagree as well.....

I have had my car since 1983 and have lived with three carbs....

Solex

Weber 32/36

and now the 38DGAS

My car is mostly stock but with 9.5:1 pistons

When I purchased in 1983... Car ran 'ok'

Solex got me abit over 32 mph highway and low 20's city. But the driveability was going downhill as I think the carb was sucking in air through the throttle shaft.

in 1988 - rebuilt engine (installed 9.5 pistons as noted above)

Installed CARB legal 32/36 as I was in California at the time.

Ran great - no real difference in mileage but the driveability was perfecto.

go forward to 2002 - Carb was just plain worn out.

Had Brian Capp install a 38DGAS and.... LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highway - I recorded 29 mpg on a 300 mile road trip.

City driving - that sucks the gas big time - mid teens..... But the car goes like a goose. Wondefrul. I would do that installtation again in a heartbeat.

Kevin

Seattle

1970 2800CS - 1985 728i - 2001 E38

...and I DO check my mileage carefully, and Jenn's car often exceeds 32 mpg

on trips down the coast- 55- 65 mph, just a little bit of throttle.

And the 38/38 on my car was most noticable at throttle tip- in.

I'm not sure it was much faster flat- out, but damn, goose it just

a little and off it went in a hurry!

...but I'm a regular fabricator... both in the garage and on this forum!

heh

t

years ago, when i was at bms in houston, we put a 38dps on the local chapter president, bill wray's 76. i forget what he had motor wise, i know it had a stock cam. he went on a trip to wichita falls, and when he got back, he wrote us a letter. he got 29 mpg on his trip, a couple mpg better than he had ever got with his 32/36. he said throttle response was way better.

years later, i had a 73 with a 32/36 and a dfre blow thru turbo, 320i od 5 spd, 3.64lsd. i could get 35mpg on the drive from houston(where i lived) to dallas(where i worked). i had one of those universal cruise controls where you tape the weights to the driveshaft, and a tii turbo fuel tank.

Ken Inn

Slavs

Now I am completely confused. Based on what this guy has stated, my 15-17 mileage in city driving isn't absurdly low?
i've since adjusted my weber settings and am now getting 20mpg. gonna change the plugs and install new filter to see if I can squeeze a bit more out per gallon.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4