• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Window Regulator Help

Hey, im having problems with my window regulator. I tried to roll up my window, but the handle freewheeled. I pulled off the door panel, and the window bar (attached from the big gear to the window was sitting loose at the bottom. I unbolted the regulator, and the pin in the center of the gear had decided to die. Is there anything I can do to fix the regulator? Ideas?

post-16030-13667606507595_thumb.jpg

post-16030-13667606507858_thumb.jpg

post-16030-13667606508135_thumb.jpg

post-16030-13667606508471_thumb.jpg

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

doesn't look good mate. you need a new regulator. which side is it?

i bought new regulators a few years ago from W&N- they are great and a worthwhile addition but expensive.

I have my old regulator lying around somewhere which wasn't too bad (at least it worked). which i could send you but you would have to cover postage (and im in australia!)

cheers

ozgeorge

http://iinet.net..au/~georges My 02 Restoration (with regulators!)

on making a new centerpivot (the part that failed on your regulator) out of steel. Mine's still going strong after 15+ years.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Repairing a broken window regulator isn’t quite as easy as a broken door check strap. First you have to get it out of the door. That’s a classic case of getting a two-foot object through a one-foot hole. It can be done but take a lot of weaseling. First, undo the three bolts that hold the crank mechanism to the door. Then lower the window far enough so that you can unhook the crank arm from the bottom of the glass. Be careful! Tempered glass doesn’t bend, and once freed from the constraints of the regulator mechanism, the glass can drop with the speed and power of a guillotine.

With the regulator mechanism loose in the door, pull the glass up by hand to gain working room (be sure and wedge it so it doesn’t play guillotine with your hand), and carefully maneuver it out of the door. A broken regulator mechanism can be replaced, or possibly repaired.

If one of the pivot pins is broken, there is a Mercedes Benz part (P/N 115-725700-15) that will cure that problem. If the broken part is the pot metal retainer pin on which the large concentric spring pivots, you’re on your own. It’s not available as a spare part.

Replace it by buying a 1 ½ inch long, 3/8” diameter bolt with a ¾” head with a matching jam nut (similar to but thinner than a “regular” nut). Using the pot metal retainer pin as your model, first use a hacksaw or Dremel tool and cut a slot in the bolt head that’s wide enough for the spring’s center ear to fit, then grind the bolt head until it’s round and will fit into the center of the spring. Next, grind or saw the threaded end of the bolt lengthwise so it will fit into the ovalized rectangle in the regulator frame (refer to the mangled pot metal retainer pin). The threads remaining on the bolt will be sufficient to hold the modified bolt in place using the jam nut and some Loctite.

Assemble the new center pin with its new retainer pin/bolt, reinstall the regulator, and you’ve saved yourself the cost of a new regulator.

Courtesy Michael Self (published Roundel Nov 1994)

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

• 5 years later...