• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Dies Under Load

Just got my engine back together and got the car running perfect. I was nearly out of fuel and as I pulled into a gas station my car momentarily died, I was able to turn it back on and pull to a pump to refuel. Now with new fuel in the tank I am able to start the car just fine and idles, but when i attempt to pull out of the gas station the car dies under load. I'm thinking that this sounds like a possible clogged fuel filter, but could I be wrong? What would exhibit these symptoms?

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)

Sorry, it's a 74 tii. It drove fine for about 15 minutes before I ran out of gas and the problem started.

Sorry, it's a 74 tii. It drove fine for about 15 minutes before I ran out of gas and the problem started.

1985 318i- Retired

With the key on, does the pump sound like it is straining?

When was the filter last changed and what brand gas?

Do you know the history of the pump?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The gas that I put in it tonight was 88 octane ethanol free gas, but the issues initially began before the gas was put in. The old gas had sit most of the winter, while I rebuilt the engine.

The pump is for a e28 and is only a few years old, although I'm not sure what brand it is. The fuel filter is also a few years old, I was planning on replacing it but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

1985 318i- Retired

88 octane? Yuck. I mean, I think you better run 93 octane if you can find it.

How's the pump sounding?

Check filter and strainers. Pull the pickup out of the tank (you can do this at the station, pop the assembly counterclockwise) and shine a light down to the screen.

Don't blow anything up.

Edited by ray_koke

Ray

I switched the fuel filter out for a new one, and checked the strainer. There are some small particles on the strainer but it doesn't appear clogged. Still the same result, the car will start for a second but immediately die. Any other suggestions? As for the 88 octane that was the highest they had at the station the car died by.

1985 318i- Retired

A test I've used to determine fuel flow is to remove the gas cap, turn the ignition key to "on" (NOT start), then put my ear to the gas fill hole.  With the key "on" the fuel pump is "on" and because the KF system is constant flow, you can hear the fuel splooshing into the tank as it is returned back to the tank.

Another obvious "easy" way to check fuel flow & pressure is to simply remove the fuel line from the Cold Start Valve and turn the ignition key to "on" ..... you'll know soon enough if you've got any kind of fuel pressure .....

You say you were almost out of fuel ??  An idea:  perhaps you sucked air into the fuel lines and you've lost prime.  Yeh, Yeh, I know the system is supposed to be self-priming, but we're looking for potential fuel flow problems, right ??  Does your e28 fuel pump self-prime ??

How about the little fuel screen filter inside the banjo fitting at the front of the KF ..... and the little fuel screen filter in the outflow nozzle on the back of the KF ..... dirty and/or clogged ??

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

yes, the KF belt is intact. The E28 pump is self priming but i havent had a chance to check much else. I'll look into it when i get home today after work, thanks for all the help so far!

1985 318i- Retired

Update: I have 28 psi supplied to the k fisch pump. When the gas pedal is pushed it drops to about 25 psi, its my understanding that this would not make much difference and certainly not completely kill the car. Any other suggestions? ignition maybe?

1985 318i- Retired

Hmm. Perhaps the points slipped?

Pull the air cleaner and see if the throttle body is wet with fuel when you crank.

Ray