• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

recommended tire pressures

jan1968

Lots to consider.

But, for my road cars, I usually run around 30-33. They all run street tires, but they do see some spirited road sriving and the occasional run on a slalom or skid-pad.

If you have access to a skidpad, you can check to see what kind of rollover you are getting. All the racers will chime in and say you really need a pyrometer to see what the tire and suspension are doing. In the meantime, do what you can with what you have. If you have the tire too hard, you will get lots of wear on the center of the tread. Too low, and it starts chewing at the outer edges. Like Goldilocks, you want it "just right".

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

but the point that needs making is re your note that the Maximum is 51.

Ignore the inflation numbers on the side wall, unless of course you work for Jiffy Lube, in which case those numbers are gospel. Ater all, its not you car and who cares if rides like sh*t and the tires wear out fast.

The fact is, those are tire manufacture inflation pressures beyond which you probably can't sue when the thing blows up in your face.

It is the automobile manufacturer's numbers that are important, though they are not gospel.

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

I think the factory recommended numbers are completely non-applicable. These numbers were derived based on 30+ year old tire technology and completely different proportions from what you are now running. You can probably start with those numbers and then play around with it a bit and see where you like it. I probably wouldn't go to the max rating of the tire - probably somewhere between 28-35 is where you will land. FWIW I run at least 32 PSI in my 195/50/15 Yokahamas. Drives well and no signs of weird wear, though the amount of negative camber on the car would probably mask anything the tire pressure would induce. Also, bumping up the pressure a bit reduces the rolling resistance and can provide small effeciency improvements.

I wonder if there may also be a way to check with the tire manufacturer for recommendations based on rim size and vehicle weight? I bet if you were buying tires from TireRack or something that they would be able to give a recommendation.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i

I think the factory recommended numbers are completely non-applicable. These numbers were derived based on 30+ year old tire technology and completely different proportions from what you are now running.

Absolutely. You need to set the pressure to some guesstimate, and then check the wear patterns to adjust what the tire pressure should be for your driving style, your brand of tires, etc.

This site has a pretty good break down of what to look for in tire wear.

Taking the time to 'develop' as correct air pressure for your particular setup will give you increased fuel economy and dramatically better tire life.

Mark DeBernardi

BMW2002Badge.jpg