• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash clock repair

Charlie

charlie,

I repaired mine via instructions from the FAQ. I cant find the link right now but it's an easy repair and doable. Keep searching.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Guest Anonymous

I should've checked it out.

Here's some info about VDO clock innards -

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_vdo_clock_repair/mult_vdo_clock_repair.htm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2929170

For more info, search Google for VDO CLOCK REPAIR. You Tube has VDO videos that might help. (I didn't look at them)

Some folks have retrofitted a newer 12V mechanism into the tii clock case.

CHarlie,

I have spent more hours than I care to admit on my clock. The links other have sent are the best places to read up on the clock. There are two different activities in the clock.

1. Machanical - wind the disk with the spring attached and see if the clock starts working - if not you probably want to blow out dust etc and add oil (I used clock oil for mine but I am OCD)

2. Electrical - used to recharge the spring for the mechaincal workings. Check the solder fuse as the FAQ will tell you. Some sites recommend low temp solder (I used it but again OCD). It could also be an open resistor or an open coil in the circuit (I think the resisitor is something like 47-48 Ohms). I have not found an inductance value for the coil to validate it.

Hope this hellps

Mike Woolridge may be able to help. He'll respond sooner or later..

Since you have determined that the fuse is ok, the only thing left to do is run it manually for a minute or two. By that I mean: Hold the clock so you can put firm fingernail pressure on the large wheel that drives the mechanism. It will run very fast when you do this. Remember, it only uses electricity when it "runs down".

tii-clock-soldered.jpg

It's the larger wheel on the right in this photo. By doing this, it will actuate the "repeat" arm the same way it does when it runs down and needs power to re-set. You'll have to "kick" the arm to full position quite often when you're doing this, but it helps "loosen" all the moving parts. Most I have repaired have set for so long without running that dust etc has accumulated on all the gears. You can't reallly blow it off and it needs very little oil. By manually running the clock, it should start and run on its own after a while.

After getting it to run, you can adjust the time by turning the small screw in the back to set it properly. It takes about 4 days to get it right, adjusting after 12 hours each time. Doesn't take much of a turn to throw it off 5 minutes in 12 hours.

I'm sure you'll get it working. If not, I have a spare ready to go, and I'll try to fix yours on an exchange basis. Don't ask me how much cause I don't have any idea what others charge.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for info, great pic, i will give it a try. Time will Tell !!! I'll be in contact if I can't get it to operate correctly. Charlie

Try first a direct connection to the battery to see if it trips the winding mechanism. Mine stopped working for no obvious reason but works when directly connected to the battery. My problem is behind the dash somewhere, maybe from the connection from the cluster but haven't tracked it down yet....

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972