• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake lights are twice as bright

I had to replace my brake light switch today, and while I was working on that, I decided to make my brake lights twice as bright.

I removed the assembly, disconnected the back-up light wire and taped them to prevent a short, and tucked the wire away safely. Then I removed the bulb and painted it red with stained glass red. Of course, you could even paint the clear lense with red, but this way it still looks original.

While they were drying, I bridged the contact from the brake light bulb to the pin on the back-up light.

Placed the painted bulb in the socket, re-assembled the cluster and am very happy with the results, as you can see in the pictures.

After all, how much good do back-up lights help. I'd rather have twice the illumination upon stopping in front of someone.

11b86lh.jpg

You can hardly tell the bulb is red.

2w6v1wy.jpg

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

that is nice, where did you get the paint at?

It's Krylon stained glass color #9020 red in a 6 ounce spray can, available at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or maybe any hobby store. They also have an amber color, good for bringing back the "newness" to faded turn signals. I put two coats of the red on before it was dark enough. Too bad they don't make (or I couldn't find) a red bulb to use.

j9273c.jpg

"FAQ Member Number 60"

my brake lights are so intermittent it would be nice to have redundency along with the third brake light.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

The back up light is not so you can see where you're backing up, but rather so others will you know you're about to back up. Say, for example, when you backing out of a parking space in a crowded parking lot.

Bob Napier

Yeah, I guess some people would stop while you back up so they could get your parking spot. LOL I think I'll hook up a back-up alarm to the wires so they can hear me.

j9273c.jpg

"FAQ Member Number 60"

The back up light is not so you can see where you're backing up, but rather so others will you know you're about to back up. Say, for example, when you backing out of a parking space in a crowded parking lot.

Bob Napier

Yeah, I guess some people would stop while you back up so they could get your parking spot. LOL I think I'll hook up a back-up alarm to the wires so they can hear me.

Maybe a 120db siren so the guy can hear it over his dual-400 amp stereo system.

Bob Napier

You need to wait until our 'Roundie' LED prototype is finished - about a month.

4X brighter than stock incandescents w/ 1/10th the current draw.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Make sure your fuses and wiring can handle the additional load - otherwise you will have no brake lights at all.

Not a problem. Kept them on for over 5 minutes...no burning of the lenses or warm wires. That was a concern for me also.

I originally had the "back off" warning (blinks 3 times - then steady) like used on some motorcycles, but disconnected that because it wouldn't handle 4 bulbs.

j9273c.jpg

"FAQ Member Number 60"

You need to wait until our 'Roundie' LED prototype is finished - about a month.

4X brighter than stock incandescents w/ 1/10th the current draw.

Cheers!

Any update on the prototypes. I think the proper LED would be useful, as over time all the lenses I see seem to have some burned plastic.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

...Any update on the prototypes. I think the proper LED would be useful, as over time all the lenses I see seem to have some burned plastic.

That is one of the primary reasons we took the project on. When I got my '02, both reflectors were melted - one all the way through! I have since bought 2 new reflectors from Mobile Tradition (Square tail) but I see now that the right side is now NLA. I didn't want to see my nice shiny new reflectors go the same way, so started thinking about making up some proper LEDs.

Other advantages were 1/10th the power consumption of the incandescants, 4X brighter, longer life (essentially 'lifetime'), and much quicker 'light-up' time to alert a trailing car (given normal reaction times, at 60 MPH, a trailing car will be on the brakes 7 feet sooner).

I'm installing our square tail prototype this week for beta testing and confirming the installation instructions. We hope to have the roundie prototype ready by late May to introduce at the local viintage car show I help organize up here. If you read my post about the Alabama Grand Prix, you'd see that I even spoke with Bobby Rahal about them and he showed keen interest despite having his Tii totally stock (right down to the 4-Spd.), said he wanted to be our first customer!

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet