• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

building an M10B20. please advice

maurim3

Im a new member and this is my first post. im also a member of e30tech but the guys told me it would be better to post here. so...

im about to start a build of an m10b20 on a 1975 2002. What i would like to know is what would you recommend me to make a bit more powerful in NA form... what ive got now is a custom made header a 2.5 exhaust pipe and two webber 40 40... what would you think of camshaft and springs options ? where can i buy them? any other aspect i can improve ? It wont be a daily driver but its not for racing either so i would like it to act like a regular car not a race car.

thanks !

In my opinion I would use a 292 cam, a 302 is getting on the bigger side for easy street driving. say about 10:1 compression pistons. If you can afford an S14 crank you can build a stroker that will be about 2.3liter. Getting the rotating mass balanced is a huge bonus on any engine. Tons of info on this subject in this forum. Ireland Engineering has tons of the performance stuff. their site is www.bmw2002 dot com

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

E12 Head, piano top pistons of 9.5:1 or greater compression, 292 cam, heavy duty rockers, rocker arm locks, upgraded radiator (not part of the motor I know but a good addition), also a silicon hose set while your at it. Thats my .02, hope you enjoy your 2002!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Honestly all i would like to do besides the carbs and headers would be the camshaft and springs. i was looking at ireland engineering 292 camshaft and springs. is that a good improvement ?? whats the stock duration on the stock cam? and maybe some higher compression pistons but that would be it. I just dont want to over do it.

For a streetable car,

you can actually add a bit more cam than the 292.

For my money, an aggressive regrind's the best way to go,

since you don't want a ton of lift. Delta Cams will get you

in the ballpark for not much more than tax and shipping on a Schrick.

With the 40's, I'd run 30 or 32 chokes.

2 1/2 is huge for a street motor- what primaries on your header?

And finally, how fast do you want to spin it?

That will really determine what kind of cam/valvetrain you'll want/need

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL