• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Make Clean Cuts on Stainless Steel Braided Lines

Trying to make my connections for the fuel lines and catch can with AN fittings and SS lines. Is there a best practice for cutting "cleanly" the SS lines?

I tried taping off the ends and using an air cutting tool, pretty messy. Tried a hack saw, same results.

Any input would help.

Thanks in advance!!

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

A high speed cut off wheel works best. Wrap electrical tape so the middle of the tape is where youre going to cut.

Nice clean cut and you'll be able to slide the fitting easily over the stainless steel braid.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

just remember to put tape over the part your going to cut. Thought I'd also mention its illegal for you to make braided brake lines here in aus. But buying them from some random chinese manufacture is ok...

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

The big kind with crescent-shaped blades, made for pruning tree branches. Again, I taped the spot. Then, one quick slice and you have a smooth cut.

David Roach

Molly (Inka 1973 2002)

Bobby (Sapphire 2004 330xi - the new kid)

Root Boy (White 2002 Tacoma)

The chop saw is best, I use duct tape or (preferred) masking tape on the cut area.

Clean any hangers (wire strands) at the bench grinder as they are very difficult to trim with dikes or cutters. Make sure the end is a nice square cut.

With the 601/701 (rubber) types assemble the sleeve on to the hose, clamp the hose end in to a fixture (vise) lube threads and hose, screw the hose on to the hose end.

Mark the hose with a sharpie so you can tell how far the sleeve has pulled down during assembly.

!VERY IMPORTANT! This will tell you how much the cutter has penetrated the rubber !VERY IMPORTANT!

I would advise you to not try the Teflon type as they are high pressure application (brake lines) and can put you in harms way if they fail. If you can do double flare on brake pipe you can most likely handle this type hose.

If you doubt you abilities have the hoses pressure tested at your local hydraulic shop

Check this out from the official Earl's #1 store. No I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.anplumbing.com/installation.html

I've tried the method showed by Tom at Earl's, found it quite easy. On this page the video tutorial includes cutting and assembly:

http://www.anplumbing.com/SWIVEL_SEAL_HOSE_ENDS.html

Aww, I fuc*ing hate tutorials. What a sorry excuse for a help file!

oops, sorry, that's a work thing...

Use a chisel. Works great up to about -8 or -10.

Trick, as they show in the video, is to use a big

chunk of aluminum underneath.

The nylon lines can be done this way too, but are then harder

to assemble because the nylon gets crimped.

Still works fine.

If you're competent, you can make safe AN hoses all day.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

+1 on the big chisel like Carrol Smith's book suggests, and as seen in the Earl's store video.

Or what I'm using more lately is the cheap-ish tool from Speedway

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Heavy-Duty-Braided-Hose-Cutter,5299.html

It has curved jaws and manages to get a cleaner cut than what you can do with a chop saw or cut-off wheel, hacksaw, or other technique that snags too many loose wires.

91089802_R.jpg