• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solex PHH "Velocity Stacks" differences

Fishhead

Heres a pic of my Solex PHH carbs (1800Ti Carbs) and the second picture is stolen from C.D. in a thread about the Ti carbs.

The "velocity stacks" in the C.D. picture look to be angled up to clear the brake booster.

Does anybody have any idea where the angled stacks could be found or what they are off of ?

From what I have been finding , the '02 and the NK stacks are very similar(if not the same), but only have a slight upward angle.

post-17634-13667623465335_thumb.jpg

post-17634-13667623466117_thumb.jpg

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

• Alpina

Your stacks are the same ones that I have on my setup and believe to be the same as cd's picture!

I am running stock booster with a modified airbox, the stacks will clear the booster as the stack closest to the firewall is angled a little steeper!

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

I am running the 1800 Ti carbs on my '02. The 1800 stacks fit with out a problem (stock booster,etc), I would just like more room to fit an air box (I have "pods" now and they work fine, they just don't look as "finished" as an actual air box does, JMO). My #3 comes closest to the booster.

I don't have any side view pics of the 1800 stacks, but they aren't as angled as the ones in C.D.'s pic (or at least seam to be as angled). If I put a flat edge on the stacks I have, they are all at the same angle (Rear one also).

MOJOJOY, do you have "actual" 2002 Solex's ?

post-208-13667623528511_thumb.jpg

post-208-13667623530169_thumb.jpg

Fishhead

----------------------

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

Fishead

Looks to me you can fab up a wedge-shaped intemediate piece to go between the stack and the carb body. Hell, why stop there? Go for a right angle and have chrome tips sticking up there like an old time gassser.

Thanks to you ordered the kit from Tech yesterday and I will take one of the tii filter bodies and adapt it to accept 4 inlets. Let's see how that works.

Can't wait to hear that suck & growl sound coming out of those carbs....very different from the nicely mannered weber!

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

Fishead

Looks to me you can fab up a wedge-shaped intemediate piece to go between the stack and the carb body. Hell, why stop there? Go for a right angle and have chrome tips sticking up there like an old time gassser.

Let's not get carried away now....LOL

Putting a wedge shaped between the car and stack would probably mess with the choke linkage stuff.

I've been thinking about cutting a wedge shape out of the stacks and welding them back together to have more of an "upward" angle. I'll probably make an air box so that will give me some "fudge it room" to work with.

I've also thought about cutting the stacks down and replacing the bolts that hold the stacks on with longer bolts and making an air box that would bolt to the carbs, similar to what the old Datsun roadster has. Or an Alpina inspired air box...

Fishhead

----------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to a "for sale" thread with a set of '02 Solex 40PHH's.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,340281/

Here are a few pics of my 1800Ti carbs and velocity stacks. The angle of the velocity stacks looks higher on the '02 carbs in the link (and in C.D.'s pic) above than they do on my 1800 carbs.

The '02 carbs in the pic have a cast in "recess" on the top of the stacks (near the carb bodies), while my 1800 stacks have no cast in "recess" on the top of the stacks. My 1800 carbs do have a kind of similar "recess" cast into the bottom of the stack, but if they were turned around (upside down) the stacks would then be angled downward.

Edit:

I added a picture courtesy of pkbinplano from this thread

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,341038/highlight,/

The 1600 carbs shown in his link have the velo stacks that are angled up.

post-17634-13667624167069_thumb.jpg

post-17634-13667624168527_thumb.jpg

post-17634-13667624170115_thumb.jpg

post-17634-13667624782624_thumb.jpg

Fishhead

----------------------

• 3 months later...

I finally got a set of the "angled up" velocity stacks. Clearance with my non-Tii brake booster is vastly improved as the #3 Uni pod filter now clears the booster on its own with out having to be bent around the booster.

I will probably make an Alpina inspired air box to use with these.

post-17634-136676282213_thumb.jpg

post-17634-13667628222627_thumb.jpg

post-17634-13667628224245_thumb.jpg

Fishhead

----------------------