• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antenna delete or not

Guest Anonymous
I am getting started again on my car and wondered the pro's and con's of getting rid of the antenna or not. Any thoughts out there. Thomas

If you don't want or need a radio, it serves no purpose other than to hold up a red tip if its a Hirshmann. A lot depends on where your current antenna is located. You neglected to mention this salient detail. If its on the forward pillar next to the driver, it probably does no harm and should be left alone. If there is rust everywhere, then clean things up and leave it off. If it is mounted on the roof or the trunk, then it can be a distraction, especially if you are carrying 10' boards.

The antenna is a question of personal taste. Not all cars have one. Not all cars run wheel covers either. Are you trying to please yourself or your adoring public?

Guest Anonymous
I am getting started again on my car and wondered the pro's and con's of getting rid of the antenna or not. Any thoughts out there. Thomas

If you don't want or need a radio, it serves no purpose other than to hold up a red tip if its a Hirshmann. A lot depends on where your current antenna is located. You neglected to mention this salient detail. If its on the forward pillar next to the driver, it probably does no harm and should be left alone. If there is rust everywhere, then clean things up and leave it off. If it is mounted on the roof or the trunk, then it can be a distraction, especially if you are carrying 10' boards.

The antenna is a question of personal taste. Not all cars have one. Not all cars run wheel covers either. Are you trying to please yourself or your adoring public?

I didn't like the way that the stock antenna was so tight in the driver's side A pilar location - up against the windshield gasket. I bought a new E30 M3 antenna assembly from Bavarian Autosport. The M3 antenna only requires one 1/2" hole and the way the antenna base is attached, there's no way it's ever going to leak, but I used some silcone sealant for good measure. The antenna stalk attaches with a neat bayonet/slip fitting, so it is easily removed without altering the adjustable rake.

post-9241-13667623133585_thumb.jpg

I deleted mine when I repainted it, and hid a remote antenna in the inside of the top of the rear seat. I also deleted the right side exhaust 'cut out', DOT side markers, and lower trim molding. The extent of my radio listening is NPR, and with dual 45's and Ireland exhaust set-up, what's the point really..

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

congratulations, you and your countless other guest user aliases are in the running for the snarkiest one of them all award!!!

YES-YES! Keep it comin'

By the way, which color should i paint my car?

Hi Thomas,

I deleted mine from the outside of the car, and went with an interior mounted antenna (attached to upper front windshield glass). I liked how such a simple delete visually cleaned up some extraneous detail on the looks of the car.

My $.02

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Hi Thomas,

I deleted mine from the outside of the car, and went with an interior mounted antenna (attached to upper front windshield glass). I liked how such a simple delete visually cleaned up some extraneous detail on the looks of the car.

My $.02

Tom

This sounds like a good way to go. Any more details or links on the antenna you used?

8896652784_3f4bbfe54f_o.jpg  1976 2002 - M20 swap in progress -- Build thread - http://bit.ly/2002M20build