• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I contacted ZF yesterday...

PatAllen

Pat,

Not sure if it helps, but I have the "Instruction for the Maintenance and Adjustment of the ZF 3HP 12 Automatic Gearbox" for the Alpha Romeo 2000 Sedan in pdf form.

Aside from some changes in linkages, at the end of the day, it's still a ZF 3HP 12.

There is some interesting info. I've not seen in any of the BMW sources.

Maybe we could do an 'O' ring swap for it... ;)

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

The point at which the car shifts up to the next gear, under full throttle, is controled by the kickdown rod that goes straight down from the throttle rod from the firewall to the carb. I don't remember whether lengthening or shortening it increases the rpm shift point, but it's probably in the Haynes Manual or the Blue book. It's been many years since I dialed mine in is why I don't remember. Maybe someone here will answer that for you.

Bob Napier

i thought you had it modified internaly. that adjustment you are refering to is quite marginal. note that it is not rpm sensitive but speed sensitive.

i adjusted mine up to spec, which is at its maximum travel already so there isnt anything to gain there if its adjusted properly. if i adjust it further i will keep hitting the kick-down.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Pat,

Not sure if it helps, but I have the "Instruction for the Maintenance and Adjustment of the ZF 3HP 12 Automatic Gearbox" for the Alpha Romeo 2000 Sedan in pdf form.

Aside from some changes in linkages, at the end of the day, it's still a ZF 3HP 12.

There is some interesting info. I've not seen in any of the BMW sources.

Maybe we could do an 'O' ring swap for it... ;)

Cheers!

do they mention anything about its inards and anything that can be changed in it ?

sure i can throw you a set of o-rings if you send it to me.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring back this thread...

believe it or not, ZF contacted me yesterday. they sent me out a 9mb pdf document about the 3HP12. It is all in german...

It is the official 3HP12 repair manual. Many pictures and diagram never seen.

Anybody willing to translate it ?

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Pat,

Send it to me at grice dot mulligan at g mail dot com. I will ask my Bavarian wife to translate it. Might take a few days.

Cheers,

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

I'd love to have a copy. It'll take quite a while to brush the dust off my German, but eventually, I'll have it translated.

mcfadden_jim Hotmail com

Thanks!

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

• 4 years later...

About the 3HP12 transmission. I was requesting repair manual or any info.

All they have is some microfiches, that of course they dont want to scan.

so they are not able to provide any info at all for this transmission, altough its their first design ever...its like if ford where not able to provide info about their T model... ARGHH !!

so all we have is the blue book and some Peugeot manuals for them. No spring lenght, presure openings, springs tension, shutter valves purposes and position,...it seems i collected more info than ZF do. lol...

Could you send me your Peugeot manual by any means? I have looked EVERYWHERE for one and am trying to rebuild a '69 404. Any help would be greatly appreciated. my email is wadehilts@yahoo.com