• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mech adv distributors, 002 vs 008, need info

DanOKC

I have two mech advance distributors, one I bought new & have used it for a while on other cars , the other came with another car I bought with a locked up motor, it is a 008. So as I have heard, the 008 is the "real" original tii mech advance version. The 002 i bought new about 18 years ago, was told the original 008 was no longer made and this is the replacement for it. So how much difference is there between these two with regards to advance curve ? I have heard the original 008 was better, any truth to that ?

Full #'s on them:

JFD4

2002 owner since 1980

I ran the numbers on my 002 with an adjustable timing light and found it to be within spec for the factory manual curves (pg.12-07). However one must keep in mind that the original curves were designed for the fuel available at the time..... The most important thing is probably that the curve does not kick in too early causing the tii to hunt. If ti does then you may need to retard it a bit and you won;t get teh full advance as soon as it should come on.

Pete

I'm neither either- but I do know this- The factory manual lists several different curves for the tii based on fuel revisions etc. none of which fit the above graph perfectly. The US curve falls in the middle of the 3 listed curves in the manual. I had to retard my advance just a tad for the best fuel I can find in Japan and it fits the curve on my 002 perfectly- not to early in terms of onset and as much advance as i can get without detonation. If I had the 008 dizzy I think I would have had to shift the advance back and it would have come in too early.

In my case it really down to what I put in the tank.... available fuel today is at least a bit different than it was in the late 70's

Best,

Pete

Maybe I should have said it's not a tii, but a stock 75 w/solex, and I posted a few posts below about my vac advance dist has a vac leak, so I'm looking at the easier options of using what I have on hand to replace it, & it's those two (002 & 008) distributors. I have been slowly working up to getting a megasquirt setup installed to run ignition, so if I run either of those two dist's for a short while, I'll do OK. Just didn't know if one or the other would be better suited for a stock motor with stock carb etc...

Thanks for the replys !

2002 owner since 1980

Dan - FWIW I have a ' 75 automatic and have run an 002 dizzy for many years - previously on a Carl Nelson (La Jolla Independent) rebuild, with 9.5 pistons, and, currently on a Eric Kerman rebuild with 9.5 Mahle pistons, stock cam, 38/38 Weber, and the dizzy does very well. Whether either the 002 or the 008 is best for totally stock engine is another question. I only have the above experience.

Bob Napier

Much more important than what the specs on the distributors were when new, is what they are actually doing today, with old springs and wobbly or sticky weights. Put the distributor on a machine, pick and set a curve and put the car on a dyno for a couple of pulls. Probably cost $200 bucks for both, a small percentage of what it would cost for tires and fuel at the track. No holes in the pistons, no guessing and max performance.