• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vac Advance Distributor Vaccum leak

DanOKC

My daily driver has a vac leak in the distributors vac advance diaphragm.

I looked on realoem through various years & only see 2 types of distributors pictured. Neither had the vac advance part, just the vac retard.

So my question is: Parts for a vac advance distributor, the vaccum pod or regulator, whatever it's called, is it available new ?

If not, I've got a good tii distributor & a few other non vac advance distributors I can replace it with, just would be nice to buy a new vac advance part if available.

Edit: added pic

post-1573-13667620345383_thumb.jpg

2002 owner since 1980

There are probably a dozen different vac parts for the dizzy on a 2002.

Sometimes you can find some, sometimes not so much. It's a real pain.

That said, the best- idling and -running carbed 2002's always have a good

vacuum advance unit.

Wish I could be more help... I have had luck calling Carl at LaJolla,

BavAuto... and sometimes on- line, but that was a while ago.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

Couldn't tell from photo if that was 'dual action' or single action. For a '76 with the smog equipt. and mag valves (CA model) you need a vacuum unit with advance and retard.

from the photo up above it is a dual action unit, advance/retard.

if your vacuum routing and electrical system is 100% top notch (which i doubt) then search for that exact unit, otherwise you can get away with just an advance unit and have it connected to the vacuum port in the #1 intake runner.

(like pictured minus the black valve)

76_2002p_49.JPG

hth

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

02for2, Thanks, link to that replacement vac advance is what I was looking for. I figured out later last nite that RealOEM has my part listed late 74 to 76, but the pic only shows 1 style, which doesn't look like a vac/retard type.

CD, Thanks, I know its has retard also, my bad on describing it.

Pat, Thanks, it's not 100% original under the hood, no dashpot & the vac relays/controls are not there also, I'm sure I have multiples of all those parts in the attic from previous cars, but I have megasquirt plans in the works, so no desire to put it back to 100% original. What you suggest about vac advance only is what I would do, except I have 2 mech adv dist on hand & will just use one of those until the megasquirt ignition goes on.

2002 owner since 1980

...except I have 2 mech adv dist on hand & will just use one of those until the megasquirt ignition goes on.

FYI

All 02 distributors has mechanical advance regardless of the vacuum units. If you have moderate compression (ie stock, less than 9:1))you can benefit of a vacuum advance unit so at part throtle you get some more advance for better throtle response, added with the mechanical advance (called governor in BMW terms). The reason why a Tii does not have vacuum units its because it already has a lot of compression so any more advance will make the engine ping. Another reason is the Tii may run cleaner than carbed (it does for sure) so less need to mess with emissions.

Vacuum advance/retards are at first for emission purposes and/or cold start operations.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel