• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Gas Analyzer

The exhaust gas analyzer for sale from Ingraham is coming home to socal. It is currently in the truck now and will make it's way down Thursday. I'll get tinkering around with it and get it dialed in to work the way it's designed and we'll have some fun with it.

Any one that is familiar with this machine please feel free to chime in on any thoughts or advice.

Thanks All!

read yer Instruction Manual

many early exhaust testers need a CALIBRATION GAS

tank so you can CALIBRATE before testiing

pretty useless if it's not CALIBRATED

t_allen_service_917.jpg

have fun and get your jetting dialed-in

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I had an AC-Delco one for years, and it never worked.

So I finally started to take it apart to see what was up.

I have never seen such miserable construction in something

that actually had a brand name on it.

It wasn't even glued together- they used masking tape.

And tubing that was not hydrocarbon resistant...

so it actually shattered as I tried to get it open.

The design may have been sound, but the execution was

sooooo poor that I turned it into a cabinet.

Truly a relic of the 'bad old' emission days- the cars were crap,

but so were the testing tools, so you really had very little hope

of actually getting anywhere positive...

Things are better now?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Nice tool to have for dialing in downdraught carbs, not so exact for dialing in dual sidedraughts.

The exhaust is really a series of gas pulses and the sample read by the analyser is an amalgum of all these pulses.

In a downdraught, the AF charge is premixed and distributed via the manifold. Assuming no air, vac, or HG leaks, the AF charge s/b the same in all cylinders and so the sample, and any subsequent adjustments, have real meaning and effect on all cylinders.

But, in a dual sidedraught setup, with a dedicated barrel and intake runner for each cylinder, the analyser can be fooled.

For example, you can have cylinder #1 running rich and cylinder #4 running lean, effectively cancelling each other out so far as the analyser is concerned, but could have dire consequences for the motor, especially the cylinder running lean.

While helpful, in order to truly dial-in such a setup, the analyser readings need to be confirmed by plug reading each individual cylinder, a ColorTune would work well too. But if you have to do this, perhaps the analyser is redundent.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

02for2

makes total sense on the sidedrafts. This then would work great with also the Tii cars. This could help adjusting the throttle body. I'm gonna do some reading on the manual and run some quik test in the morning.

Thanks everyone.