• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have leather dying experience? does Brown=Saddle?

josh72ooh2

I shot this crude photo with my phone... but you get an idea of the tan seat that i want to dye to match the brown seat.

Is that brown technically called 'saddle'?

do the results of dying the leather look accurate? it will it look like crap?

I searched online and saw leather dye kits but i couldn't tell what color i would need. The color swatches are really crude compared to the actual color of the leather.

But i'd like to get a kit like this that i can use to repair the scuffs on the door panels and dye the recaro's to match the rest of the interior.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Products/Deluxe-Leather-Recolor-and--Repair-Kit__DLRK.aspx?Choice1=07&choice2=Saddle

I love the original seats, and plan to keep them, but the recaro's are so much more comfortable and due to their smaller width, the seatbelts are easier to use.

post-17221-13667619239532_thumb.jpg

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

It does get confusing with tan or is it sand----is brown the same as saddle?

You will just have to get some made up to suit--if you can find the product color on the shelf.Auto finishing suppliers usually have a line similar to SEM line which seems to get most of the testimonials.

I did mine with the SEM product--it's a vinyl paint that works great---not like early days stuff that would come off on your shirt.The secret is the prep work --get everything super clean---do your repairs to small vinyl tears with a stitch glue----actually sand the vinyl lightly---go with light coats and build up your coverage--and pick a good warm day. This product does your door panels---even carpet i've heard--without any matting or hard ends. I don't know about the latter but it's great for vinyls---scoyote

One word - Leatherique

They will match your color exactly and their system works extremely well.

I had a friend who dyed the Black leather interior on his Lotus Esprit Tan - that's Black to Tan - near impossible most would say. But Leatherique made up the dye and using their products, he did it. Came out looking very professional and 5 yrs. later still looks fresh.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Leatherique will provide you matching dye. It is usually applied with a sponge brush. Results vary. I don't know if it works on vinyl.

Kevin Chinn is the Atlanta area can also provide a dye that seems to be a bit easier to work with, according to those who have tried both.

http://creativeoptions.info/

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Thanks! i will send a sample to leatherique this week. also going to look into a sprayer too. i have a small pancake sprayer (xmas gift) and this might be the excuse to get a sprayer for it.

IF not... the preval looks like an easy way to go.

so prepping is key huh? The idea of sanding leather scares me... but hey, i'm open to learning something new. how do you get into the piping areas and other seams?

i'll try to post my results in the next month or so when i complete the job.

A guy at a auto upholstery shop quoted me $250 to dye both seats. It looks like i can get all the stuff i need for about $90... and then it will just take time.

-Josh

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

prepping leather of vinyl for dying isn't sanding it but insuring that it's absolutely clean....i always clean with whatever spray cleaner i happen to have in hand, rince well, then 'damp' wipe with lacquer thinner to get any remaining oils, etc off...

along the piping, in the grain, etc, i use a small, soft bristle brush

besides the mobility, the beauty of the prevail is you don't have to break it down for chemical cleaning like you will a paint gun...if you remove the sprayer from the jar...spray til clean air, turn upside down and spray a couple of seconds, you can simple put it back in the bottle of dye for the next use

prepping leather of vinyl for dying isn't sanding it but insuring that it's absolutely clean....i always clean with whatever spray cleaner i happen to have in hand, rince well, then 'damp' wipe with lacquer thinner to get any remaining oils, etc off...

So I don't have to buy the $35 'Prepping Agent' they sell and do their recommended wet sanding process? Just a really good cleaning and let it dry, then spray?

I'm all for saving a few more bucks as long as i will get good results.

-Josh

So I don't have to buy the $35 'Prepping Agent' they sell and do their recommended wet sanding process? Just a really good cleaning and let it dry, then spray?

I'm all for saving a few more bucks as long as i will get good results.

-Josh

i've dyed more leather and vinyl than i care to discuss and have never done more than what i described

here's some of my most recent mischief...

dfbrbo.jpg

6s7z8n.jpg[/img]

• Like 1