• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K&N Air Filters

Blackbeard55

Hi,

I guess the thing is that I have searched the Forum and I have not seen any mention on K & N Air Filters or cold air induction and I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with them. I have been kind of surfing and came up with this one called a K & N Universal Apollo Cold Air Induction System that looks pretty nifty but wonder if anyone ever tried it or anyother products.

I know it looks pretty ... well I can't say the word cause it sounds a bit inappropriate and I am not the most appropriate but I guess it looks like it would be under a Honda or a Mitsubishi hood.

Anyway what do you guys think. I like color, its a good excuse to keep things clean.

Does the flashy color really give you more hp? I heard that it does!

By the way my car was recently megasquirted and I am now broke but really just wondering. these things are pretty pricey.

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

I am really finding this interesting. There have been alot of views but zero comments. I don't know whether its just no experience with this stuff, or an aversion to K & N Stuff. I am surprised because their product is really touted as giving performance boost but I don't think I have seen any mention of any of their stuff on this site. I am pretty new here though so what do I know.

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

Hey, I'm one of those viewers that interested in others experience too. I'm considering converting over to the late-model 320i injection system and would love any information regarding what K&N style filter system would work. I know folks have done it. . . K&N makes a ton of products there must be someone with an opinion/experience that can simplify the search. . .

anyone??? :)

76' Fjord- orig. owner
Hada 85' 318i - but now it's EFI is in my 02"  :wacko:

a lot of folks have k&n's on top of their down draft webers or on the front of their sidedrafts, or jammed on the intake of their Tii in place of the can. nothing special about them. several companies make reusble element filters.

you didn't attach a pic to your post, so no reference to what k&n you are talking about....

2xM3

I think someone asked for a picture of the filter. It is actually called the K&N Apollo Universal Closed Intake System. The hose side is the cold air intake side and the other side is attached to an adaptor.

Anyway, very colorful, just wondering what people think. K&N doesn't seem to make the HP claims that they do with other filters with this one.

Here is the link:

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

post-2901-13667619038714_thumb.jpg

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

My setup may differ from yours ;-)

I'm running a 2.5 S14 with a cf airbox and a custom "Maxogen" ITG filter spec'd for a 300hp 4 cylinder that Coastfab put together for me.

http://www.coastfab.com/itgairfilters.html?cat=26

Sorry, no pic right now.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray,

Which ITG filter are you using and what is your setup. thanks,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ray,

Your set up is way different from mine but I could call those guys and see what they think. I have a pretty much stock engine except its got a 294 cam, mech. distributor, elect. ig., and megasquirt. Very Interesting stuff. Are you also using one of their plenums?

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

JC,

My plenum came from John in Germany. Coastfab can put together what you need. Some measurements from you may be required.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray,

Your set up is way different from mine but I could call those guys and see what they think. I have a pretty much stock engine except its got a 294 cam, mech. distributor, elect. ig., and megasquirt. Very Interesting stuff. Are you also using one of their plenums?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

cold air induction will not give a 2002 any more power.

Certainly nothing you'd notice, because the stock system

ALREADY has cold air induction.

K&N have recently gotten a bad rap because they

have been said to

let in more particulate.

I still use them.

But what do I know...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby,

I don't have a stock air induction system in my '02. No carbs, MS. So right now the air system is pulling straight from the engine compartment right around where the battery used to be (moved it to the trunk to creat space). Also, I don't get why the stock system is cold air when the stock system just sits right on top of the engine??? But then I really don't know that much.

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

My stock carby setup has a hose that pulls air from the front of the car just above and to the right of the passenger side headlamp.

Why don't you just save your money and build your own? You were creative enough to do a MS setup. Just move the filter from the location it's in now to next to the headlamp. Or route some hosing from that location to where the filter currently sits. But again, I agree with most others that a cold air won't do much. The area where the battery sits is a pretty breezy location and about as far away from the exhaust as you can get.

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI