• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need more power! Adding aux lighter sockets?

JackBennett

I imagine this is pretty simple since we live in the iPhone world but I want to do it right. I'm adding in 2 extra cigarette lighter sockets and was thinking I would just pull (fused) power from the existing socket in the dash with one of those t-splice things and run a new ground to the firewall. Since my phone and such will never pull more than a couple of amps at the worst I assume this is an easy and safe way to go. Any one have any advice? Reason not to do it this way? Stories about horrible cabin fires brought on by your ipod? TIA as always...

Achtung Lieber Himmel!

1976 Rot und Schwartz daily driver "Otto Q. Gilgamesh"

Hmm....Well I hard wired an iPod interface that has power...no need for a cigarette lighter...so if its to power iPod/iPhone, why not hard wire one of those connectors? Why a cigarette socket, then have to plug in an adapter to charge the iPod/iPhone? Just go direct. Also there are MANY multi iPod/iPhone chargers on the market that take up 1 socket and can charge multiple devices. Here is the one I used....iPod dock connector (works with iPhone as well) on on end to power/charge device, and get audio from the dock connector, and RCA plugs on the other end to plug into my radios Aux input. It also has a stereo 1/8" input jack for those times someone wants to play their non-iphone/ipod device in our car. They make a number of different ones with different connection options.

polywire.jpg

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Well actually I'm adding a 5v USB port and an extra cig port at the base of the console just aft of the shifter. I don't want to add a full on inverter as they take up too much space, get too hot and look bulky. I am adding the extra cig port so that I can run an inverter when using my car for work. I don't want to add a full on ipod/iphone power cable because then it will always be there even thought I'll only need it on long trips and thus it will usually just be hanging around looking terrible. The idea is to be very stealth about all of this so that you'd not even notice it's there when not in use.

I assume since no one has told me about horrible dash or cabin fires, that my scheme will work out alright... Please do chime in with useful bits.

Achtung Lieber Himmel!

> The idea is to be very stealth about all of this so that you'd not even notice it's there when not in use.

Actually... Jack is the king of "low profile stereo stealth." You ougta share a pic of your trap door console system...

keep us informed of what you come up with on the wiring. robert

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Personally, I hate those splice things. They make a weak connection, break the lines in the wire, and will become brittle with age.

Depending on the year of your car, there should be a line coming off the back of the ignition. 12V Switched, unfused. I would run off this line with an in-line fuse to your new cig lighter.

I added mine with a whole new fuseblock, but that was because I added a bunch of crap and figured "why not?" The socket and dummy plug came from an e36

Console_Wrapped_02.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Mine is a '76... do you mean there is an unused terminal off the back of the ignition or a wire to tap into? If it's a wire how do you recommend tapping into it? I've always used the t-splice and never had a problem but it does seem a little jerry... I suppose I could just run a line from the cig lighter fuse at the block but that seems unnecessary with such a small amperage/voltage draw.

Achtung Lieber Himmel!