• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lots of thumbs up with the new "muffler" (very lon

dubois

you go figure! It is the same car, except louder. The journey to define this car is really getting down to the short strokes now. One of the last element - which I have searched, and replaced at least 5 times was the exhaust system. The Supersprint header seemed to bring back some of the lost low end torque innate to the 292 cam, and actually proved better than the stock tii manifold for my A4 system, but the rest was either too restrictive or too loud or both! So, I went stock, not too loud, a bit restrictive.

I now realize that there is no space in a 2002 to have a quiet performance muffler.

So I spent a whole morning trying out different systems at the local muffler shop, mind this is just Hollister, so it is not like a big shop. So luck has it that there is an old Monza dual tail pipe with build in resonators - eliminate the muffler? crazy? It just happen to work! Loud? yes, too loud? not enough to keep your ears ringing all night after a 300 mile trip to So Cal - sorry but the previous year with the IE system that was exactly what happened.

Does it flow? heck yes! I am not sure that is the reason why all of sudden Bacchus is getting thumbs up everywhere, but he is making a statement, hope the cops don't think he is too loud now.

Sorry, about the blabbing, I just wanted to share my exhaust saga. Oh, by the way, a little bragging, which will make every 02 owner proud, on the Grapevine, not a single car passed Bacchus, the fast lane was too slow for him! What is the matter with these new cars and trucks? they don't have torque?

PS: a friendly muffler shop can actually hook up systems temporarily and let you listen to them - especially if there is no other work.

new%20muffler.jpg
From Desktop

FAQ Member # 91

That is great funny thing on the same trip I fell in love with Mojojoy's IE.

I went out and bought one came in last friday for me this sounds just right again I do not drive fast like you (going home on the 101) haha.....

Julio

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

sorry but the previous year with the IE system that was exactly what happened.

The stainless IE exhaust? Is it that loud?! I just got mine couple of weeks ago and that really was not my target.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• Alpina
sorry but the previous year with the IE system that was exactly what happened.

The stainless IE exhaust? Is it that loud?! I just got mine couple of weeks ago and that really was not my target.

Tommy

I have one of the IE stainless with a stahl header and is not loud at all, I drove along Michael up fron the Socal vintage and his car is 10 times louder(which i like) than mine, something must off been of with his previous system cause mine is almost as quiet as stock!

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

Thanks - feeling a lot better now. That's what I though based on opinions before. I wonder what kind of experience people have in longer term with IE? Do they burn the wool out easy and get louder?

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

The stainless IE exhaust? Is it that loud?!

Hi Tommy,

I have the IE SS header to muffler system, it's pretty quiet. Well until the twin 40s open a bit but that has nothing to do with the exhaust.

I'd like to give those twin blewy tubes a try, where can I get them?

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Michael..

Monza..thats ol skool....are they even still sold?.....

You say its hard to find a hi po muffler to fit an 02?...

Im looking at a magnaflow 4 " oval..like 18-20 " long...single in/out...2 ".....

that should fit easily?.......what others did you look at?....

Michael..

Monza..thats ol skool....are they even still sold?.....

You say its hard to find a hi po muffler to fit an 02?...

Im looking at a magnaflow 4 " oval..like 18-20 " long...single in/out...2 ".....

that should fit easily?.......what others did you look at?....

I love exhaust talk! I know i'm not the only person to fart around with this to the bitter end.

I had Monza on the 74 Opel Manta and the rear guts broke free pretty quick.

The last round has been an Anza saga (in the 1600 BMW) with me going through 2 front sections in 3 years. The rear is in tact and for sale. That baby got loud.

Now the IE SS....is a smooth quiet system until I open secondaries. Just good noise and smoke!

Now I am not so deaf and can talk on cell phone uh... hear my phone ring.

I got red overspray in the same spot. It must be factory.