• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Latch without bulkhead?

M20Curtis

Hey all, trying to find pictures to see if its possible to run a hood latch on stock hood if you cut out the rear bulkhead where the heater and wiper unit is hidden. Has anyone done this and not switched to a pin-on fiberglass hood?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

IMO...you have a perfect time to use the ol skool Porsche 911 race style rubber latches...ive seen em on old school 02 race cars as well......like Alpina/GS Tuning etc.......I may do it as well...save money and buy from McMaster and Carr...

or Pegasus or Paragon......

here is one on a trunk...and one side of a hood set up....they come in diff sizes...I think its perfect!!!

get_thumbs_on_flyphp-1.jpg

t_untitled25_106.jpg

800px-1973-07-06_BMW_Koepchen_mit_H.jpg

Guest Anonymous

the center of the latch screws into that in the middle between the bulkead and firewall, and that is where the 'spring' tension comes from. Probably could figure out another way of creating tension, but the stock bar would probably flex/deform at the center without the support in the middle

I bought these from a company that sells parts for commercial vans, think bread trucks. About $15 the pair. I still have the bulkhead and will probably eliminate it and the latch assembly as these rubber holddowns snug the hood down pretty well.

post-290-13667612306071_thumb.jpg

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

If you remove the heater plenum, you'll need to support the center of the

hood somehow (it's not hard)

as it does get some support from the center...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL