• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any advice on getting court order to get car title ?

DanOKC

I bought a parts car that has nice enough body that I'd rather keep

and restore, I only have a bill of sale, & I'm not a mechanic by trade, so

I can't file a lien on it to get the title. My local tax commission/dmv says I have to get a lawyer, get a court order to award the title in my name. It was last registered to the previous owners widow about 3 years ago. I have heard it can cost a few hundred to get a lawyer to do this, it might be worth a few hundred to me to get that title, just curios if anyone has done anything like this.

2002 owner since 1980

Similar thing happened to me...bank I had a loan through went under...when I tried to sell the car many years later, the car was still registered to that bank...but they didnt exist. I had a mechanic friend place a lien on the car, and when they awarded him the pink slip in 30 days, he signed it over to me. So the key is to find someone you trust, as you are in their hands. If you know a mechanic, then its an easy process....It actually cost me nothing, he didnt charge me anything so I am not sure if it cost him anything to file for it. Just an idea. Good luck.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Dan,

There are typically procedures for getting a lost title. In Tennessee it requires either public disclosure of your intent to title the car or a certified letter to the previous owner. There are a couple of other steps but it's a pretty simple process. Check with your local county clerks office they should be able to let you know what to do.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

clear the whole thing up with one set of paperwork - don't know how it works where you are, but in CA, if there's no title paperwork (i.e. "pink slip") the last title holder can file for "lost title" and "assign" the title to another party on the same form. If you're able to contact her and your state has that option, getting title may be pretty easy.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)