• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Megasquirt air filter placement, do I HAVE to move the batt?

Got Megasquirt (318i intake w/325is throttle body) installed and running, but I'm having trouble finding a place/way to mount the air filter. I've noticed that almost everyone else running MS has moved the battery and placed the air filter in that corner. Has anyone done this without moving the battery? If moving the battery is necessary, which is the preferred new spot for it; in the trunk or under the rear seat and where do you route the positive wire for either? I would also prefer not to remove my dipstick, as my car does use a 'regular' amount of oil. Or can you relocate the dipstick somehow? Open to suggestions at this point, so any replies appreciated, thanks!

-Carl

i think every one moves the battery its easier for routing the intake. for weight distribution i dont think it is a bad idea any was to ship it to the rear there is a write up on using e30 parts i believe . also you could just heat or just slowly bend the dipstick out of the way as long as you dont change the over all length of the tube it should be fine 318 and 320s used a 2 piece dipstick to move it out of the way and used a hose to couple them together. email me with some of your set up guestings i would like to create a write up or section just for mega squirting.

With 318i intake I think you don't have other good choices. I was thinking myself that I'd like to have tii air filter with my early 320i manifold and relocate the battery back to original place. Would need tii booster too but tii parts are so rare here that I guess I'll go with the old setup.

Tommy

engine3.jpg

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

All the MS conversions that I've seen had a relocated battery. You might as well just do it. Get it out of the way and reap the benefit of the better weight distribution.

I'm partial to relocating the batteries under the seat, but I used Zenon's method of mounting two odyssey PC680s. I like having the extra space in the trunk.

I can't remember who, but someone else mounted one PC680, and says it's fine. He mounted his in a tight little box made specifically for the PC6800. Very clean.

I ran an E30 cable and terminal along the passenger side of the tunnel, but others have run it on the driver's side. C.Diesel recommends against having the terminal on the passenger side of the firewall because of the heat from the exhaust, but I don't see any downside to it after running mine for 15k+ miles.

Do a search and you'll see some pics. If you can't find, I'll dig some out.

Regarding the dipstick, I used the E30 dipstick and tube. Fits perfectly, and is secured by bolting to the intake manifold.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

I think there is plenty of space in the engine bay for a small Deka or Odyssey if you get a little creative with the bracketry, and also depending on what engine accessories you have.

I'm hoping to move mine down and back towards the driver, almost on the subframe if possible. When i get one that is...

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

Alright, I picked up one of the Oddessy batteries because it was on sale at batteries plus. I think I will first try just putting it in the conventional location for the time being, get my intake track setup, and then I may move it under the seat later. I'm very impressed with how small it is; I just hope one is enough to cut it but I think it will be. 16 Ah and ~250 cold cranking amps. Not huge, but I do have the 80 amp alternator and theses sealed batteries reputedly hold a charge VERY well. I'll try to post some pics and feedback once I have it installed and have tried it out. Thanks for the input everyone!

-Carl