• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What it was, what it is, and what turned into ..............

c.d.iesel

what a progression, it's growing and learning what's needed.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

That is man, I am selling all my 2002s, and buying a new E90. This info is too much for me, 2002 are not safe.

Al,

Relax man, that 2002 data does not take into consideration the highly refined Bluedevils seatbelt modifications that we all enjoy. Go ahead, hit that brick wall, it won't even put that cigar out!

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

OK, feel better now, thanks for the support! Seriously, I would think our old 2002s are probably safer than many of the today's econo boxes, I know, I have been welding one lately and realized how strongly body was put together, not to mention the heavy German steel used in the manufacturing. I love to shot the doors close couple of times a day just to remind myself (and to show off my friends) how nice they sound, indication of a well build German master piece.

BTW thanks to CD, that is a good info to have.

Amazing compilation of info. I'm really interested in how you obtained the headlight graphs. Is this a product of some research you're doing? Are you retired?

Anyway, good stuff.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Seriously, I would think our old 2002s are probably safer than many of the today's econo boxes, I know, I have been welding one lately and realized how strongly body was put together, not to mention the heavy German steel used in the manufacturing.

Unfortunately, a rigid steel body is less safe in an accident because all the deceleration forces are transferred to the passengers. Those modern "flimsy" bodies deform slowly and in a controlled manner and absorb much more of the impact. I'm pretty sure they won't last 30-40 years, though.

Realistically, the only safety advantage to an 02 is visibility. I don't know how people see out of some of the cars that are made today!

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

c.d.iesel, man, now yer just showin' off!

:^)

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)