• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driver's Seat Horsehair Pad Replacement are these available?

DennisR

I'm trying to find the correct horsehair pad to replace a worn one on the driver's side in my 76'. I ordered one from my local parts supplier and found that it's dramatically different than the one I'm replacing. The seats were redone about 15 years ago and the pads were replaced by the shop that did the work. The parts guys recognized the "old" (green w/foam edging) pads as a bmw part but we can't find an available part number or supplier in the system.

The pad that we thought was the correct one has a part number of 52 11 1 824 773. We did find a PN ending in 668 but not with a current reference. . .

I'm hoping someone here might have some leads, (or bad news if the part is NLA).

Thanks!

post-2897-13667610214684_thumb.jpg

post-2897-13667610216102_thumb.jpg

76' Fjord- orig. owner
Hada 85' 318i - but now it's EFI is in my 02"  :wacko:

Dennis,

Your post is a bit confusing. Your topic/subject line reads "Driver's Seat Horsehair Pad Replacement are these available?"

The answer is yes. And it looks like you have one there in the picture. I just ordered front seat pads for my '74 (same for your '76)--front back and seat are available for both driver and pass seats.

But it appears that the last uph shop used different pads, which I think are out of a 320i, but not positive.

Do you want to go back to orig? If so, I'll dig up the part numbers for you.

If you want to keep the modified pads....

BTW, DO NOT buy from World Upholstery. They have OEM pads, but charge twice as much as my local BMW dealer (BMW of San Francisco). 60 days ago I paid:

Front backs: $114.00

Driver seat: 108.59

Pass seat: $130.31

Thanks for the info. Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. I'd like to stay with the green pad (it's hard to tell from the photo but it's pretty much on it's way to being shot- getting pretty thin on the bottom(s)). The original (brown pad) won't fit the current seat covering so it would be a major undertaking to have another cover made.

I did take Esty's advice and took a look at World's site. They do seem to have a pad specifically for 75-76 (both driver's and passenger side the same part number) which makes me think it's the correct pad.

And, I agree with you that $225.00 is a bit steep. The one I bought locally (the wrong one) was in the $125.00 range. Do you know where I might find the BMW part number for the 75-76 seat pad?

The quest continues. . .

Thanks,

76' Fjord- orig. owner

Ah Ha! Thanks for the tip.

The one I purchased that won't fit is the PN-52 11 1 824 773 (left/driver's side). Seems like the PN 52 10 1 841 668 might be the correct one for my 76'. And, if I 'm reading the chart correctly, they are 2-fer $113.00 :D

Can anyone confirm???

Thanks,

76' Fjord- orig. owner

Ah Ha! Thanks for the tip.

The one I purchased that won't fit is the PN-52 11 1 824 773 (left/driver's side). Seems like the PN 52 10 1 841 668 might be the correct one for my 76'. And, if I 'm reading the chart correctly, they are 2-fer $113.00 :D

Can anyone confirm???

Thanks,

dennis, realoem pricing isnt accurate. but regardless the etk is always priced per item. the (2) signifies how many you need per car but its always priced each.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Guest Anonymous

I am in the process of redoing my seats as well using the the instruction in the FAQ section as a guide. Seems that this fellow just used auto upholstery foam that he bought for $35 and it worked fine. Is it really necessary to spend over $200 a seat?

I am in the process of redoing my seats as well using the the instruction in the FAQ section as a guide. Seems that this fellow just used auto upholstery foam that he bought for $35 and it worked fine. Is it really necessary to spend over $200 a seat?

Well here's what I've learned thus far. . . I re-read the FAQ about re-stuffing seats and what I understood was David (the FAQ author) was reusing his horsehair pads. There's probably plenty of fine seats out there that have been totally re-stuffed with foam but I'm opting to replace a worn pad rather that go the total foam route.

I've had pretty good luck with the horsehair. This will be the third time the seats in my car have been redone and the lifespan seems to be around 15 years (not bad-IMHO). While I'm not done yet, the quest has led me to also understand:

- There's a difference between front seats made for 75-76 02's and those from prior years. I think the 75-76 horsehair pad number is 52 10 1 841 668 (same part number for both driver's and passenger sides).

-I think the pre-75 horsehair pad number is 52 11 1 824 773 (left/driver's side).

-The 75-76' pad appears to be available from ECS tuning for around $72.00 + shipping. I don't know if that's the best price available but that's the best one I've found so far. . .

The parts diagram from real OEM that "martinsmith" sent me to was very helpful-

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2232&mospid=47131&btnr=52_3395&hg=52&fg=10

I'm going to check with the supplier that I purchase the brown pad from on Monday to see if I can order the green one and trade in the brown one.

If not, I guess I'll post the brown one in the parts for sale section here and try to order from Blunt or ECS.

I'll keep you posted on how it all ends up. . .

Dennis

76' Fjord- orig. owner