• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

transmission leak

sweitzer

So I recently completed a five speed transmission conversion on my 2002 and then proceeded to drive it almost all the way across the country. The only problem that arose was a leaking of transmission fluid which appears to be coming from the shift leaver or drive shaft output because both of those parts have this fluid on them and the fluid appears to only be toward the rear of the transmission. I did not put in two seals, for the shift lever and drive shaft output, that came with the kit because I had installed them on a different transmission before i discovered that it would not fit, and subsequently could not remove them. Is there anything else that could be leaking and does anyone know where i could find those seals?

Those seals should be readily available, I replaced some about two years back.

Remember, there is a lock thing that has to be removed to replace the output seal, It is hard to see sometime. That lock thing even keeps the big nut from coming loose. Use a new one on install.

Sometimes transmission fluid comes from the shift tower block bolts.

Rearseal.jpg

Rearseal1.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Leaking through the shift selector rod seal is VERY common. You say you haven't changed the seal. This one isn't too bad to change with the trani in the car. You'll probably need to pull the driveshaft to get good access. Then pull the shift lever and the extension to the back of the shift selector rod. You can pull out the seal with a hooked seal puller you can buy at Sears or at any auto parts store. They sell the seal at any number of places including www.bavauto.com. The quick and dirty thing to do is not to pull the old seal at all and just use a new seal to push the old one further in, but I've gotten pretty good at pulling them so I just do it.

For the output shaft seal, you don't need the puller shown in the other post; you can unbolt the flange that the seal sits in, and then just bang it out from the other side. Be sure to order a gasket if you're doing it this way.

Of the two, I think that the selector rod seal is the more likely culprit.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)