• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fan wiring - sensor question

craaaazzy

hey guys,

i just installed my recored radiator (3 core) and see that i will not be able to install the stock fan. i'm currently researching electric fans and wiring kits. has anyone used the following (or similar) wiring kit?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52125/10002/-1

how do i mount the sensor? do i simply slide it in between the radiator fins or does it go inside the radiator?

also, the wiring looks to be a bit different than what's in FAQ. anyone know how to install this one? doesn't look like it's got an inline fuse. and no idea on how it turns on or off...not into electrics...thanks.

fred

my project blog:

craaaazzy's 2002 project

The way-cool way is to have a bung welded into the radiator for the stock BMW thermoswitch. You can barely see the sensor/switch behind the fuel line here on the top tank:

aa50f1e6.jpg

The other place is in the water manifold coming off the head, going to the radiator and thermostat, like in the touring:

augsept2006001.jpg

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

mine is connected to the waterneck manifold as what Inka suggested. Been that way for 5 years with no issues.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Sorry to hijack this, but, Which fan do you guys recommend (I tried the search already, but couldn't specifics)? I know a lot of folks use the AC fan, and I know JEGS and others sell a wide variety...any specific models you recommend? I want to be sure to get one that works properly.

hey guys,

i just installed my recored radiator (3 core) and see that i will not be able to install the stock fan. i'm currently researching electric fans and wiring kits. has anyone used the following (or similar) wiring kit?

how do i mount the sensor? do i simply slide it in between the radiator fins or does it go inside the radiator?

also, the wiring looks to be a bit different than what's in FAQ. anyone know how to install this one? doesn't look like it's got an inline fuse. and no idea on how it turns on or off...not into electrics...thanks.

fred

Yes, I have that same control on my car. The sensor just slides right thru the fins. I just hooked it directly to the battery with an in-line fuse, and its been working fine a couple years now. It will run a little after you turn off the car, though.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

hey guys,

fred

Yes, I have that same control on my car. The sensor just slides right thru the fins. I just hooked it directly to the battery with an in-line fuse, and its been working fine a couple years now. It will run a little after you turn off the car, though.

thanks kfunk, that's where i initially saw it (in a response to someone else's thread). do u only have this installed, no power wire kit? i believe it's similar to the one from autozone that i have linked above but w/o the inline fuse.

my project blog:

craaaazzy's 2002 project

mine is connected to the waterneck manifold as what Inka suggested. Been that way for 5 years with no issues.

Sh!t. We agree on something? Someone shoot me, quick!

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

thanks kfunk, that's where i initially saw it (in a response to someone else's thread). do u only have this installed, no power wire kit? i believe it's similar to the one from autozone that i have linked above but w/o the inline fuse.

Nope, no power wire kit. I think I just followed the instructions on the kit, and may have just bought the fuse-holder separately as instructed. I don't think it requires a relay, or i would've gotten one. It must be able to handle whatever amount of juice reliably, so there's no need.

Sure, you could make things more complex and add a manual switch/relay or make it so it works only when the ignition is on.. but most modern cars leave the fan running after you turn it off on a hot day.. if its hot its hot, and needs cooling down. I like stuff simple...

Oh, and Jeg's is remarkably fast to ship things out and easy to deal with, and will throw in some stickers and maybe even a hat, so you can be the coolest cat in the trailer park.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Definitely the best upgrade I've done on my 67 1600. I started with a triple core and found the fan rub on hard braking.

The Hayden 12" with optional thermostat kit works well. I did not want to use the zip style attachments through the radiator fins so I made brackets to zip to. Now there is no need to cut and replace every time I remove the radiator. The sensor is poked through the fins just below the upper hose.

She runs cool like the other side of the pillow.