• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fatmat

I know this topic has been discused but after searching I still have a question. I have been calling around locally to try and save on shipping on my sound deadening material and come across some interesting opinions on fat mat. All of the car audio shops I talked to basically said "that shit doesnt work, we use dynamat" Are these guys just dynamat snobs? From all of the posts on here it seems as if people are pretty happy with it but i wanted to get a quick confirmation before I order. TIA

P.S. I will be using it under the carpets and back seat

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

Just finished using both fatmat and second skin damplifier... as far as sound dampening performance goes your best resource is the showdown link above for information.

From what i've read it's sort of obvious, there are price per weight considerations... you could always double/triple up the cheap thinner/lighter stuff and it will dampen the resonance of the panel as good as one thicker/heavier more expensive product... basically.

I already had fatmat so I wanted to use it up... I also have two cars to apply it to so I needed some more... that's when I read the showdown and decided on damplifier. Here's my experience with the two:

I used the damplifier on my roof and in my doors, since it has a higher temp rating than most and sticks better according to the showdown. I also bought some of their Spectrum liquid and used it on the inside door frame.... seemed to have worked pretty good. I'm still playing with applications for this liquid.

I used multiple layers of fatmat (since I had a bunch of it and it is cheap) on the floors and back seat area. The damplifier was quite a bit easier to work with. The fatmat went on well though and was very sticky although not as much as damplifier... had to work with the fatmat a little more. Since it's on the floor I think it will be fine. I also used a closed cell foam called Overkill that second skin sells for over the fatmat and under the carpet... my carpet guy installed two layers of the 1/8" stuff. I've since learned that they recommend another product for that application though.

Note: the installation roller that fatmat supplies won't last long... I bought 2 more cheap ones just like it and didn't finish the job before they all broke... I used the end of a particular screwdriver most of the time which worked well, but not as good as a roller. I just recently found that good rollers are made... they're a little pricey but I think it's worth getting one... don't even mess with the cheapies.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

I used Fatmat on the Baur in Feb of 2004. I used a commercial roller to lay it down. The concern with the firewall application was long term adhesion. Five years later it is still secure with no issues.

DSCF0127.jpg

well it's been slow getting all the interior together... so I still don't have the door panels and rear seats, etc installed... but the little bit of driving I've done with just one seat and carpet in it I could tell it will be an improvement... I'll have to report more later.

It's a lot of work with sore hands and back but already I think was worth it.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)